Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I raise this? >

How do I raise this?

How do I raise this?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM

I just read a tip yesterday on the about.com website. She suggested buying a 12 foot piece of 6x6 lumber and crosswise into the size you would need (10 inches for you) times four (one for each corner). She said it was very stable. Here's the link if I haven't described it well enough:

http://quilting.about.com/gi/ec/quilting_1_14.htm
Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
What if you got those 4" fence posts and drill out the top a little bit to put your table legs into? Lowes and Home Depot will cut to the size you want. :thumbup:
That is what my husband did for me. It works great.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM

I have this exact table and my wheels/casters ALL lock. The table is very sturdy and will not move any without unlocking the wheels.

The description on the link you gave says that casters lock...if they don't you might need to contact the company and see if they sent you the wrong table. JMO...I love my table!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM

I have that table and it was wobbly from the start. Then one wheel fell off. Then another. They cannot be repleced and we could not get them fixed. I ended up getting an abandoned frame from another quilter whose husband had taken the top off and put permanant legs on her top. The frame she gave me sits in my garage waiting for a handyman to take off my top and put it on that frame. In the meantime I put my cutting mat on a table and cut there.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:26 PM

I have the same table. I have to be able to move it. The top had come unattached on one side. One wheel is bent and it looks like the leaning tower. I want to get a good one but Sooo expensive. I would like to build my own but not a handy person and am afraid of the power saws. I can use a drill. lol
My brother told me how to fix the side movement with braces and to fill in the holes on the top. One day maybe I will win the lottery and get a really nice one. with drawers and everything. :-)
Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
I just bought this cutting table, didnt put the wheels on, How can I raise it like 10 inches? Pvp wont fit on the wide side. What can I use to make it stable and not wobble when raised?

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Home-H...VVviewprod.htm

thanks.
What about cutting PVC pipes to the level of heighth that you want; laying 4 of those on your open table with something that will cause them not to slip; and putting a board on top of the pipes? That would give you a shelf with approx. 9-10" of space under your cutting surface. Might be too silly of an idea but thought I would try to help. Linda

:oops:
Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 PM

I had a table like yours and never could get the legs to stay stable. My husband had a set of legs for a shop table that you just add plywood to the top and a piece for a shelf on the bottom and we put the craft table top on them. Works great. Perfect height. I have enough room for storage on the shelf. I love it.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
I just bought this cutting table, didnt put the wheels on, How can I raise it like 10 inches? Pvp wont fit on the wide side. What can I use to make it stable and not wobble when raised?

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Home-H...VVviewprod.htm

thanks.
oh send it back and get it at Joann's for $69. something. Penny
Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM

How about taken the top off the frame and adding layers of wood to the underside of the tabel until its the right height, then replacing the table top.

$205 for a table your not happy with seems alot

Ii bought the IKEA draftsman adjustable tilt top table and absolutely love it., Can adjust the the right heigth for each person and tilts so you dont have to lean over so far if cutting wide withs of fabric
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM

i thought of the same thing-taking the leg mechanism off and adding the wood (or even cardboard, or anything else) to the underside of the table itself. and if you ever plan on moving that table, change to wheels that lock. you only need two locking wheels to keep it in place.

why do you need to have it so high?