Jury Duty!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I agree Bella. I'm salary, so it doesn't matter if I miss work..that's not an issue for me. If it was a once a week call to make it would be one thing. This is every night for two weeks.

I don't want anyone to think I don't want to serve on a jury...I honestly don't mind! Civic duty and all that...and like I said about the last one I served on, it was kind of fun. I just don't want to have to wait until after 8pm EVERY day of this time period to see if I'm busy the next day or not!

It's a stupid system,and I resent it!
Let's drive to Salem and slap a few congressmen around...LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 PM

I was called to jury duty while I lived in Texas. It was a drunk driving case where there were injuries to the other person. The DA asked me how I felt about drunk drivers. I told him they all should be jailed and work in the morgue. I was dismissed from the case.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 PM

I've been called in twice (both times in California). I wound up on the jury once (burglary and assault with firearm, sad that a 19yo wound up with two felonies that early in life, but he made his choices and at 19 is presumed adult enough to live with the consequences of same), wasted two days (and only got paid for the second!) listening to other prospects being questioned, and they picked the jury before they got to me (just as well, drunk driving case and I agree with Chasing Hawk on that point).
Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM

I also am in Iowa and in our county...the worst in the entire state....draws names and sends you a letter telling you that you are on jury duty. Each day after 4 pm you have to call to find out if you are needed the next day or not. It was a royal pain for me since I worked 2nd shift at the time, but I got lucky and didn't have to serve...was settled out of court.

I'm sorry that you can't make plans...been there and it really isn't fun at all. Too bad that you can't give a cell number for them if you are on call...sort of like Dr's and such. I know...nice thought right? lol
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM

That's the same way that Alaska does Jury duty... however, when you live in the bush (off the road system) you get to do grand jury for 3 MONTHS at a time...every Thursday you have to go to the court house all day and hear cases. Thank God that some are too funny to believe, otherwise it would be awful. I live in the city now, but always did love being on the Grand Jury.... "did ya hear the story..."
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Here in L.A. County, we have to call in every night for a week. If our group is "called", we have to go in the next day - then it's one trial or one day. Last time I had to go in, it wasn't until Friday and court was slow, not many new cases. We got to be excused at lunch time.
Also, in L.A. County the only people automatically excused are police officers. There was actually a judge empaneled on one jury I was picked for - but the attorneys excused him right away! lol And that was the only jury I actually was empaneled on - but I was excused when I realized I was allergic to the new carpet in the courtroom!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM

I've lucked out of jury duty so far. I've been summoned by mail twice in California, but both times I'd just moved out of the county that issued the summons. I responded with that info and never heard from anybody again. I would like the experience of being on a jury some day... but someday that's convenient for ME, you know? And that's almost never how the timing goes.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by Charlee
I agree Bella. I'm salary, so it doesn't matter if I miss work..that's not an issue for me. If it was a once a week call to make it would be one thing. This is every night for two weeks.

I don't want anyone to think I don't want to serve on a jury...I honestly don't mind! Civic duty and all that...and like I said about the last one I served on, it was kind of fun. I just don't want to have to wait until after 8pm EVERY day of this time period to see if I'm busy the next day or not!

It's a stupid system,and I resent it!
Let's drive to Salem and slap a few congressmen around...LOL
Your car or mine? :lol:
Old 04-06-2010, 06:30 AM

The jury I served on in Montana was actually kind of fun. Montana sends you a letter saying that you might be called during a certain time period...a year I think? During that time period I got a letter telling me to show up on whatever day, didn't have to wait around and wonder if I was busy or not. I went when I was told, and got selected for the jury. The others were a fun bunch, we had a good time together...until it got down to brass tacks, and then we had to get serious.
I'd have done it again in a heartbeat. I was actually kind of excited to have gotten the letter this time too, until I found out how it works...and now the more I think about it the madder I get! I'll be writing some letters to be sure!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 AM

I have been thinking about this and just wanted to add something that keeps coming to mind. Keep in mind I don't like the way they do this either but
Our servicemen and women would like to be home for things like their babys birth, birthday party, holidays and they can't because they are serving our country. If we think of it as our duty to our country, to keep the world safer by serving on a jury, even tho we don't like it and don't like having our time in limbo. Maybe we could all see it differently . Not beating anyone up her just something that kept coming into my mind today.