Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?! >

Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?!

Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Thank you Sharon B for asking the question and I so appreciate all the wonderful ideas submitted.
Our 27 yr old DD and our 5 yr old DGD live with us full time. DD goes to school full-time and works 20-24 hours each week and DGD is in full day kindergarten.
All these great ideas are going to make this summer break so much nicer for all of us. Yes she has all of her toys and things here but sometimes she just needs some individual attention. Being 5 means you do not need it until everyone is involved in the middle of a project.
I will start looking for supplies now as school is out in late May.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM

go to modabakeshop.com. I sent my DH to visit his granddaughters last week, with a full kit- they made fabric bowls with scrap fabric and modpodge. It was a huge success. Also, cookie recipes.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 PM

You are having so much fun she won't want to go home!!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM

To do the crayon painting on the t-shirt, you can just color directly on the shirt with the crayons, then press the colored area between two sheets of waxed paper to set the color and keep the ironing board protected. If you want the color more intense, just repeat the process.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM

My 6 yr old grand daughter loves to "make a quilt" on my quilting wall. (a flannel backed tablecloth) She fills it up with fabric scraps and we take a picture. She spends hours doing this.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Like the idea of the doll blanket---work S L O W L Y....ask if she's sure of the "next color"...really sure? And, then, there's always a "tea party". Set up a small "table" and some seats, got some teddy bears maybe?, a small cup and saucer?, real tea is good....make it mostly milk with a little sugar....gloves, a hat with a flower...(you might even "make " the hat.....girls are F U N !!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Banned

color books are always a great thing. when my grandchildren come over they love to color. Penny ps help her make a simple purse.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

All great suggestions and I will keep them in mind for summer :wink: Thank goodness Spring Break is over :thumbup: But rumor is they want me to help out over the summer :shock: OH MY ! LOL And for the summer I will have her 9 year old brother
Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 AM

omg, this was a very fun read. I want to come play too.
My GD is 2 and in my sewing area every minute that I am.
You gave me great ideas. She has a little sewing machine that sews straight and zig zag stitches. I don't thread it for her yet, she sure enjoys playing on it.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

LOL Oh I babysat my three/four year old niece this last summer. I know what you mean. Let her make collage pictures cut from a magazine and glued with a glue stick. Sing songs and play hop scotch. Lots of healthy snacks and v8 fruit juices. No Sugar!! You will be sorry if you do. LOL! Also if you google paper dolls, there are many print outs that are nice. Coloring and those color books with the dot that turn colors with a water and paint brush are fun for them. Check you local library, they sometimes have story time there with guest speakers. The museums often have child exibits. Then there is the YWCA. They sometimes have swimming lessons or other activities for kids.
If you enjoy walking aroud the block, this is very good for the little one too. (It might wear her out)
Finally .. Dress up! If you have things that you think she would enjoy dressing up in, make up a box of it and let her play with it. Hats are a plus... LOL!