Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what is rhe problem with the census form >

what is rhe problem with the census form

what is rhe problem with the census form

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Actually, I find such forms amusing and informative. For instance, and forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize Hispanics weren't white until there was a separate check box on the census. Then, this year, I think they added more "types" to the form. It's almost as if the government is beginning to see that there are many types living in the USA. It should be interesting to see, in the coming years, how finite this typing will become. As someone asked, why isn't there a box for white/black/Indian and such?

If they start a breakout of the white groups, the form won't be long enough for a lot of us, as we're what used to be called "Heinz 57"! Or, maybe we're still called that?? :-) Personally, I prefer the type "American." If the government wants to distribute money, I'd rather they did it on the basis of numbers not types!!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM

We had census forms delivered a couple of years ago. They might be a pain but, try not sending it in! I got ours, tossed it on my desk and forgot about it...they came back to my door and wouldn't leave until I filled it out!! So I made the woman sit at the table and wait while we finished dinner! LOL
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Yep if you don't fill it out, they will send a second one, then start sending people to the door :shock: Might as well take the high road and be done with it . Also that may be the reason they start asking the neighbors about you
Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Its funny how people will gripe about filling out the census form, but will spill their guts on the internet.

I value my privacy as much as the next person, but if this helps my community and my tribe then I will give up the little info they want.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 PM

I'm impressed. Quilters are positive people.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Quarterly, for the past year, a census worker has either been to our home, or called, and asked all kinds of very nibby questions. I was polite but I did not appreciate the questions. And they were very repetitive...things like employment, health insurance, how often do you go to the dr, how much money do you have in the bank, how much do you owe on cr cards, etc. And, we were told that there was no choice to opt out of being one of the households. The year is up...thank goodness. I will tell you very honestly...that I found the questions very disturbing.
Those are very invasive questions. I wonder what the penalty would be for refusing to answer some of those questions? Financial information is not their business, IMO.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

my daughter brought a form home from school (to see the nurse for a health check, a routine thing for 5 year olds who start school)

I ended up not filling it in, I thought some of the questions had no bearing on her being healthy

can't remember when Australia last conducted a census though..
Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by beckyw
Why don't you want to fill out the census form.
I would fill it out if they would send it to me. Got 2 postcards before they started mailing saying they were getting ready to mail the census ~ then I got a reminder card saying they had mailed it :roll: and for me to mail it back in.

Called to let them know I never got it, said not to worry they would be re-mailing to the ones that they didn't get one back from. Still - NO CENSUS here :shock: :shock:

So just how much $$ are they spending on my 10 questions :?: Not sure about their postage but it's looking like they will spend the $57 for someone to come to my door - hope I'm home when they come :D :D
Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
The census form we received was quite simple...name, birthdate, ethnicity, etc. My irritation is with all the advertising money that has been spent for this.

Also, a year ago we were 'informed' that our household had been selected for more in-depth scrutiny. Quarterly, for the past year, a census worker has either been to our home, or called, and asked all kinds of very nibby questions. I was polite but I did not appreciate the questions. And they were very repetitive...things like employment, health insurance, how often do you go to the dr, how much money do you have in the bank, how much do you owe on cr cards, etc. And, we were told that there was no choice to opt out of being one of the households. The year is up...thank goodness. I will tell you very honestly...that I found the questions very disturbing.
That seems a little odd. I wonder, have you checked your credit report lately to see if anything odd has happened since this "Spanish inquisition" was done?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

They do have some interesting questions. I sent mine in.