Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what is rhe problem with the census form >

what is rhe problem with the census form

what is rhe problem with the census form

Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 AM

I answered how many people lived at this address. That's all. None of their business what my name is or when I was born or what race I am.
The Constitution says a COUNT of all people, not what race they are.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I never got one. Had to call them yesterday. Spent more than ten minutes on the phone trying to tell the automated voice my address. Finally had to get a real person (not much better). If it does not show up...........I don't care. Tired of playing with them.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I never got one. Had to call them yesterday. Spent more than ten minutes on the phone trying to tell the automated voice my address. Finally had to get a real person (not much better). If it does not show up...........I don't care. Tired of playing with them.
Amen!! Still haven't gotten one ~ and I'm NOT calling them back :evil:
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I'm happy to do my Constitutional duty.

For those who don't seem to enjoy doing it, does it help to know that census is done pretty much everywhere around the world? The first census I could find info on was done 4,000 years ago in China and counted some 13 million people.

Myself, I was able to use census information to learn about the history of my family. If you or your kids or grandkids ever get involved in genealogy, you'll sure be so happy to find that your ancestors filled out census forms. And, the census you fill out today could be a wonderful find for relatives 100 years from now!
Oldest Daughter does ancestry for us and Father-In-Law's family and has gotten lots of information due the old census. I was able to obtain a picture of my Great Grand Parents because a distant cousin in Canada has the picture. There was no other way I could have ever gotten that picture.
If people don't know there is everything about them floating around, they are just kidding themselves. Census helps people get Representives and such.
I filled ours out and sent back about 3 days later.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
I answered how many people lived at this address. That's all. None of their business what my name is or when I was born or what race I am.
They count the "ethnic races" so they can allocate monies to the places most likely to vote Democratic i.e. illegal immigrants, Hispanic peoples who usually vote Democratic.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
In genealogy, census information is notoriously inaccurate. Hilariously so on good days. Another inaccurate source: death certificates with the info provided by immediate family members! People were just as clueless then as they are now. Use a primary source instead.

In 2000, I was asked to provide info on a neighbor. He was brand new to the 'hood so I said, "He's in his early twenties and Hispanic." That's it. No name. The census troll could never catch him at home and we didn't have names on our mailboxes.

This is a political topic btw. Corruption, fraud, redistricting, overreach, partisan politics, etc. Isn't politics verboten?
My oldest Daughter has found lots of family history and people by the old census forms and we have proven them to be right, she has followed through and has talked to some elderly relatives that knew of or heard of the people and as I stated earlier, a distant cousin sent a picture of my Great Grandparents, if she hadn't found him, I would have never been able to obtain a picture of them and also a copy of their Marriage license. There are so many public records out there, anyone with S.S. number can be found. I filled ours out and sent back 3 days later. If they didn't know where we were, how did we get the census form ?
Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by sallysue
I have to agree with Charlee, I didn't mind filling the census out because I have relied on them many times in the research of my family lineage, and the census wasn't too personal.
:)

i agree too. i do not feel it is an invasion of my privacy at all. i filled it out and mailed it right away.

my privacy has already been violated with the internet..it brings up a picture of my house..the white pages brings up my name address,and who lives with me,thier approx ages.. everywhere i post..is also shown in a search....
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by studio-christine
my daughter brought a form home from school (to see the nurse for a health check, a routine thing for 5 year olds who start school)

I ended up not filling it in, I thought some of the questions had no bearing on her being healthy

can't remember when Australia last conducted a census though..
England,every 10 years..
every 5 years in Australia..next year, your up!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by ljsunflower
They count the "ethnic races" so they can allocate monies to the places most likely to vote Democratic i.e. illegal immigrants, Hispanic peoples who usually vote Democratic.
You got that right!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by sallysue
I have to agree with Charlee, I didn't mind filling the census out because I have relied on them many times in the research of my family lineage, and the census wasn't too personal.
:)

i agree too. i do not feel it is an invasion of my privacy at all. i filled it out and mailed it right away.

my privacy has already been violated with the internet..it brings up a picture of my house..the white pages brings up my name address,and who lives with me,thier approx ages.. everywhere i post..is also shown in a search....
Then if all this information is out there, why don't they just get their census workers to check it out online instead of sending them to our houses to get us to answer the silly things?