Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need advice from a wise woman >

I need advice from a wise woman

I need advice from a wise woman

Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 PM

*Hugs* I send you my thoughts and prayers. I wish Ihad answers, I can only offer a shoulder to lean on.

Chase
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I tried to find words of wisom but they just seem hollow. Contact hospice they have a lot of literature and have grieving classes. Many churches also offer meetings for those who are grieving for a loved one.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 PM

My loss was thru divorce. He left when the last child went off to college. I had never lived alone. I depended alot on friends, and found that even people I didn't know well were there to rally around me. Keep yourself open to friends and aquaintances. Join a support group. Cut yourself some slack. Sometimes (especially in the beginning) one day at a time is too much. There are days when hour by hour may be all you can manage. That's okay. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Keep doing the things you have always enjoyed. Don't be surprised if you have difficulty concentrating. It took me a year before I could sit down and read, or be able to watch a TV show that was longer than 30 minutes. You will find strength that you never knew you had. That is one of the many wonderful things about being a woman. We survive, and we are there for each other. God bless you. I'll be praying for you.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Oh Gywn, I wish I were closer, so I could offer a shoulder to lean or cry on. We all need that sometime, and that is what a support group provides. It may not seem like you want to find a group, but to be around others that have experienced loss just as you have, helps. Sometimes you need the support and other times you can offer support to others. Give yourself permission to grieve and please don't be afraid to ask for help...even if it is only for someone to talk to. Don't worry about moving into this phase of your life gracefully, move into it in the best way you can and that makes sense to you.

I will continue to keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

It is normal to turn around to tell DH something, think that he will be right back...set a place for him at the table... He was a big part of your day to day life and it does take a while for it to sink in that he is gone.... (((HUGS))) I agree with the grief counseling, it can help you to make sense of what you are feeling, as well as what YOU are going through...they can help you to get through the different stages of grief. Everything that you have described is normal, and you will find your way through at your own pace (((HUGS)))
Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Gwyn, I am so sorry that you're having to go through this! There are so many variables, and try as we might, no one can tell you how to work through your grief. Randy's passing has left a huge void in your life, you've not only lost your best friend....you took care of Randy for a good many years, and now he doesn't need taking care of anymore. The thing to keep in mind is that you are still needed and much loved, both by your family and your friends.

Nothing any of us says is going to make it easier to regulate your appetite, or to dry your tears...but it really is good advice...a support group will bring you into contact with others that are going through, or have already gone through what you are going through now. Trying to control your eating when you're an emotional eater and going through a plethora of emotions is going to be tough. I'm not sure I'd even try at this point...there's time enough later to get a grip on that.
Do something that makes you feel close to Randy. Something that the two of you enjoyed together....or get a journal and write letters to him.

Keep talking to those that care about you! You're an incredibly special woman, much loved and extremely talented! We'll help you in any way we can....we all love you to pieces, and I know I sure enjoy seeing your work!! I promise it's going to get easier to deal with...it's still too fresh to worry much about "getting on with life"...give yourself time to grieve the loss of Randy, and when you're ready, you'll find a niche that suits you.

~MEGA HUGS~
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM
JJs
Banned

You are still in shock - it still doesn't feel real - probably because it all happened so fast.
Give yourself time to heal. One day, one hour, one afternoon at a time.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 PM

Gywn, I am so sorry for your loss. I took care of my father-in-law for the last year. He had cancer. He has been gone 5 months and I still expect to see him come down the street. It is hard sometimes but we talk about the good times we had and it helps. It has gotten better with time. God bless you and ease your pain.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Gywn, just take it minute by minute. My husband was killed in a car crash in June. The rawness is slowly getting better. Be kind to yourself and remember everyone deals with grief in their own way(no one right way). As for making decisions - friends would want to take me out for dinner and want me to pick where to eat and that was too overwhelming to decide. One day I want to be very busy and the next I don't want to do anything but stare at the wall. I told my son that life sucks - he said no just this chapter. So I know there were good chapters and I await a better chapter. And I wish your next chapter to be a better one too! Take Care!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM

Gwyn,
You might check to see if there is a "compassionate Friends" group in your area. They deal with loss of a loved one and help to ease a path into life when you are ready. I'm wearing your husband's shoes and trying to prepare my husband for the day. I hope he has as many friends as you do. Take care and take one moment at a time.
Terri