Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for those of you with antique sewing machines >

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 PM

I sold my little white (celery green) Featherweight about a year ago and have regretted it ever since. What a great little workhorse she was. And I just loved to look at her. It's amazing how we bond with our machines. I kept my Singer 301a shortbed for piecing and I love everything about her. My latest search is for a 99, and I'd dearly love to find a Singer 353 or 354, the model I learned to sew on. But nothing can replace my old Domestic boat anchor. It's all metal, does a few decorative stitches and is the most reliable machine I have when it comes to the heavy lifting of upholstery and large quilting projects. Bottom line is that I truly appreciate the antique and vintage machines for their workmanship and durability.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Katia
If you want to drool over a machine, take a look at this one. I was intrigued with the talk of hand cranked and found it on Ebay. I am not buying it, but wow, it is a work of art.
I have never seen anything so beautiful.
I have heard of this guy. A real good friend of mine knows him well. He was stationed in Europe and in the military you are allowed so much stuff to send back at certain times. He would fill a cargo container full of machines and ship them back home. He has some really nice machines and last year he had 3000 of them for auction in the same auction. I am not sure if they sold but if your into vintage machines you already know this guy!!

Billy
Billy, be sure to keep us posted if any of those machines are still available, please... I'd LOVE to see then and place a few bids.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

When I saw the auction for the machines he showed photos of them and you can not imagine what 3000 machines looked like sitting in one spot. The bids started out around $9000 and had a reserve. A lot of handcranks and portables hardly any of them dating past the early 20's.

Billy
Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 PM

I would simply love to own a treadle machine to produce an heirloom quality quilt incorporating vintage fabrics. Right now I'm designing a quilt top utilizing my great grandmothers and great aunts table linens, tatting, crochet work, etc. I'm very excited to get started!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I have an industrial Singer 95-80 from the 1930's and I love it.

At the time, I was sewing "professionally", making lots of things and selling them at craft shows (this was 1986). I was using a second-hand old all-metal Kenmore that I had to keep taking into the shop for repairs every couple of months as it would not hold the timing. And the repair man basically told me, "Lady, you've worn it out! Get another machine!". I asked him about industrials - secondhand only, as I could not afford a new one - and he showed me this ancient, cosmetically-challenged Singer. And he assured me that I would not be able to wear it out within my lifetime.

I love this story... Thanks for posting! ~ Bethanne
I do believe he was right. In all these years - 24 now? - it has been in for repairs exactly once, when I got it jammed up with fabric. I can oil it, clean it, and since there are manuals online I can even time it myself. Just think of the money I have saved in repairs and tune-ups. It has more than paid for itself.

Yes it does a great straight-stitch. And... yes, that's all it does, no reverse, no zigzag. But most of the sewing I do is straight-stitch anyway. I have a Bernina 1130S that does fancy tricks... but my choice is always to go over to the Singer.

Love story? Well... years ago my son took my seam ripper and carved an "I love you" into the finish. So we have that, too, as part of the history of this machine.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by grammyj

I know about treadle singers,I have one and learned to sew on one but I wonder about the handcranks. How do you use them? Do you have to turn it all the time?
Yessum, you do. :) Just as if you didn't use the foot pedal of your machine now, put a little "stick out" handle on the flywheel, and used your machine without electricity by turning the wheel....
Upside? They're fairly compact, need no electricity, and make beautiful stitches.
Downside? You only get to guide your fabric with one hand. Needles for some of them can be hard to find as well!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

OK know I have to see what type of sewing machine I have, my next door neighbor got evicted and they gave me two sewing machines, One is in a case and has a belt on it, I know it works all except the dog feet, maybe tomorrow I will get it out and look it up and oil the feed dogs. Penny
Old 04-18-2010, 01:51 PM

Dear Rachel, thank you for posting your question. I was thrilled to see the title and saved it for last to read and savor. Sure enough everyone's answers are wonderful with make believe stories and love stories of vintage machines.

My DH and I buy a lot of things we need/want off of craigslist. About 18 months ago I began communicating with people who were selling what I would call vintage rather than antique machines (just for fun). The real antiques are usually out of my price likes. The histories I began hearing from each owner really got me going and I want to purchase them all... but... really don't have the room. LOL It’s sad not to purchase them because I am concerned they will just go to the dump.

I purchased an old Singer that was made around the late 40s/early 50s. (that’s not 100+ years old but it IS getting close to that!) So anyway, this machine I recently gave to my sweet DIL who has never sewn but got intrigued with quilt making when I took her to my LQG monthly meeting while she was visiting. I paid about $125 for it, it has all of the parts, etc. and decals in great shape. DIL works with the machine while her kiddies are napping.

Not too long after that I purchased one made in the 30s as far as I know right now. It had belonged to the owner’s Grandmother. A few month ago I purchased a Singer 15-91 that actually had only been sewn on by the original owner up until about a year ago, who was an avid seamstress. She had kept it in pristine condition. So much *sew* that the manual and everything looks VERY brand new. It came in a blond, very cute, concise cabinet and a bench that slides under the cabinet and has storage under the seat. That is going to become my piecing machine.

Most recently, I conferred with Lostn51 (Billy) about a Damascus treadle I located on Craig list. He asked me if it had the shuttle that the long bobbin fits into. The owner had salvaged it from an apartment complex and he didn’t think it had a bobbin. He was delighted to find out that it did have the shuttle and there was a bobbin in it. Apparently the machine is a vibrating shuttle machine sold by Montgomery Wards. My DH and I drove 2 hours one way to pick it up for $30. While I do the research on this machine and take it in for cleaning my DH will be fashioning a cabinet for it from the one that it came with. The cabinet was literally falling apart.

I think the only one I am most certainly looking for now is a Featherweight. However, I keep locating intriguing old machines that are affordable for me, *sew*, who knows. I agree with all the reasons that others mentioned about why they love their old machines. Hope this all helps you Rachel.

:D
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Windy Canyon

Most recently, I conferred with Lostn51 (Billy) about a Damascus treadle I located on Craig list. He asked me if it had the shuttle that the long bobbin fits into. My DH and I drove 2 hours one way
So you did get it!!! Yay!!

With it coming from Montgomery Wards it is a badged machine from Eldredge, which is a very good machine indeed!!

I am glad you went to get it!

Billy
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM

no1jan
Just so you know, it might not be oil that it needs. It may need grease on the gears not oil, they are metal and require a more substanshal (I spell badly) lubricate. one that will stick to the gears and not run off. You can get small tubes of gear grease from most hardware stores.