Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bargello tute >

bargello tute

bargello tute

Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by amma
WOW!!! I can't wait to clear my plate so that I can come back to this tute and make a bargello too!!! :D:D:D Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do this for us all :D:D:D

It did make it easier to find specific steps when cutebuns split the tutes up into sections. Especially for those who couldn't follow along as it was being taught.
Well Amma, get busy and get to eating, get that plate cleared. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the suggestiong of splitting the tutes into sections.
Will do that.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
If a person wishes to make a bargello wallhanging instead of a full size quilt, do you have to use smaller strips or what do you do to get a pattern you can actually see in a smaller project?
You can use smaller pieces and according to what size you want, even fewer fabrics.
I'll post a picture for you...give me until tomorrow. I need to get some posting done on the cutting & sewing and my sister is coming to visit in a bit so want to get the cuting & sewing post on so Colleen can work while I visit with my sis.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bbeyes
Hi Barb: I have all my strip sets sewn together now. But the ironing of the seams - do you open them or iron one set in one direction and the next in another direction?
Thanks for all your help, excited about the coming steps.
I think I'm ready to cut the strips
Betty
Will get the cutting tips up for you all now.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Originally Posted by Elaine716
It is a cloudy day here and I can't seem to lighten or brighten my pics. Here is another one. #2 and #4 are off white and creamy with small tone on tone prints. Is this order better? Thank you for helping me.
I think that will work very well. If you are happy with that, then are ready to cut your. Iron your fabric, cut the selvages off and either start cutting or come back and I'll have some cutting and sewing tips posted in another thread.
Elaine. When you cut your strips cut from the fold across to the selvage side. If you are careful, you can stack to fabrics and you the process will go faster...or do as I do and fold my fabric end to end. Get a straight edge cut and cut two strips at a time of one fabric.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Thank you so much. Played all afternoon with arranging the fabrics. I think I have it just right. You are so great to help us. I have started sewing strips together. I hope I will be ready for the next step. I am sooooooooooo excited to get going on the entire quilt. Thanks again for your help. :D :thumbup:
Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM

Betty, Iron you strip sets in opposite directions. for strip sets #1 you can iron the seam up toward #1 fab. Fab #1 has two sets, iron both of those in the same direction.the on the next set (#11) iron all the them down. Alternate the up and down ironing.
Once I get a set ironed, I lay it down with the wrong side facing up....and at a glance over to it reminds me if I need to iron the next set up or down.

Originally Posted by bbeyes
Hi Barb: I have all my strip sets sewn together now. But the ironing of the seams - do you open them or iron one set in one direction and the next in another direction?
Thanks for all your help, excited about the coming steps.
I think I'm ready to cut the strips
Betty
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Since we have already talked about cutting the strips and sewing them into sets. Before I go on to adding the new message thread for cutting strip sets & sewing them together, I wanted to add a couple more things here.

Some of the things I have told you to do may seem elementary to you....you have already done lots of strip piecing and ironing your seams. You have chained pieced many quilts, so have I. With 11 fabrics and 11 strips from each, you have to developer a method so you will not make the mistake of picking up two strips and sewing them together on the wrong side...say getting fab #1 on the left and #11 on the right when it should have been the opposite. Or sewing half your quilt together and find that you left out a fabric in your strip set.
Or, cutting all your set that should have been 3" you cut them 3 1/2" because you didn't have you note on them telling what size to cut.

I've done all these things.

Next message, with pictures, I'm going to recap the process of getting your strips ready to make your strips sets, and sewing those together and ironing them.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM

After you have cut all your fabrics you should have them stacked and arranged in order left to right fab #1 through fab #11 as in Photo #1
From these fabric stacks you sorted according to earlier directions for your strip sets.

Notice I had the fold at the top...I did that because it makes it easier for me to pick up a strip from the stack and I want to keep them folded until I take them to the sewing machine.

You will have seven stacks now, ranging from 3 sets to a stack to 1 set as in photo #2
You only have seven strip sets because that is all the colors that will ever appear at the top fabric in your quilt sections.
Notice that strips are still folded and the fold at the top.

Take one stack at a time to the sewing machine. I have an old sewing machine in an old cabinet, so I have space to lay my stack right there beside me. At the sewing machine you should lay the stack down, this time have the folds at the bottom.
At the folded end pick up two strips, fabric # 1 & fab #2, grasp the cut ends with other hand and drop the folded end. Now work your fingers in (photo #3) and take hold of the inner two ends.
You will have your two strip right sides together, you can let the other cut ends drop down, one to the back and one to the front (Photo #4). Give it a little shake to straighten the strips and you are ready to put it under the presser foot.
You will chain piece through the end and have fab #11 left. Cut your chain from the machine and open out the last on and turn it over right side to fab #11 and sew together (photo#5)

Now cut the chain off the machine....don't cut these apart or iron them. I pull the chain from the back of the machine and start letting it fall to the floor on the right side of me. I drape the chain over my lap and cut the first set off the chain and open it up and place it right side to the one that is in my lap. Place those under the presser foot and sew to the end.. After you've sew a few stitches you can cut those off your chain and leave the rest in you lap for the next set.
Any time you have an extra in your lap at then end, cut the chain from the machine and sew it to the one in your lap.

Adding the orphan strip to the last set on the chain
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65340[/ATTACH]

Strips stacked and read to organize
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65568[/ATTACH]

strip sets ready to sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65569[/ATTACH]

drop the outer two end, now strips are right side together ready to sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65570[/ATTACH]

geting hold of the inner ends of two strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65594[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-65335.jpe
Views:	237
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	65340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-65563.jpe
Views:	249
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	65568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-65564.jpe
Views:	208
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	65569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-65565.jpe
Views:	205
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	65570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-65589.jpe
Views:	174
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	65594  

Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM

That's all for tonight folks....unless there are any more questions.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM

hi barb. are you doing your next tute on cutting the strips?..