Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric for men's quilts? >

Fabric for men's quilts?

Fabric for men's quilts?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Google Goddess

Eddie, beautiful colors for you quilts. Thanks for sharing!

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by ann clare
Is it just me or is it hard to get fabric suitable for men's quilts. Most of the fabric here has flowers etc. I make quilts for men from time to time and always have this problem.
It can be. I've made 3 quilts for "me", so I wanted them to be somewhat "Manly". Below are pics of them. I think they're not so much "manly" as they're not "girly", if that makes any sense.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rexene
I'm making a log cabin quilt for my son. I don't think it looks girly or maybe that's just me.
It doesn't look girly at all! Love the prints you selected!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 PM

My DH is the same way, though I'vee use mostly batiks for the few that I have kept.

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My hubby has no complaints about fabric choices as long as I make all the couch quilts long enough to cover all of his 6'3".
Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Eddie...
Your quilts are beautiful. I like them all.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM

I have made quilts for men using old men's wool suiting and backed it with cotton printed like matress ticking. I used shades of brown for one and the black and blues for another. the quilt was tied not quilted.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM

I buy fabrics that have hunting dogs, ducks, pheasants, tractors, deer, buffalo, elk on them. I usually make more manly quilts than I do for women. Do a search on ebay and you can find some there or on the internet.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM

For men I like flannels, homespuns, shirtings, stripes, plaids, etc. (no flowers). Also made some wool quilts and nearly got run over when I put them out for grabs. The men loved them. My daughters left a closet full of wool jackets, slacks, vests, etc. when they got married and left home and I put them into quilts. They were warm and cozy, actually I think they were the all time favorites.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM

When my father died, my mother saved a few of his shirts. Why don't you go to Goodwill, Salvation Army or yard sales and find some "gently worn" shirts that would work together and use the fronts and backs for quilting pieces. Don't plan complicated patterns, just start off easy and buy a couple of solids to border your pieces so they don't have to work precisely together, but will still be nice. I am doing this now for my mother who is now in a nursing home and misses Daddy more than ever.

sueinbarre
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 AM

When I wanted to make a quilt using plaids, I found plaid fabric was in short supply where I live; so, I headed to the local Goodwills and found an abundance of plaid 100% cotton shirts and the variety was almost endless.

Since that time, I have started purchasing tropical print shirts, again a wide selection. Some I cannot bare to cut apart so they hang in my closet and I wear them, they are soooo comfortable and they have POCKETS! But they do make great quilts as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

I was in our local Hancock Fabrics and they have a large supply of plaids and masculine stripped quilting fabrics. I was almost tempted in buying some for my stash but I kept my composer and picked up only what I needed. :lol: :lol:

Billy