Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made your dog or cat a quilt? >

Have you made your dog or cat a quilt?

Have you made your dog or cat a quilt?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

I haven't made one for the cats (they use ours) or my little dog Topo, but as my husband's dog has his "own" chair I made him a flannel quilt. It is red flannel with a yellow fleece back (tied) and I appliqued felt gumnuts on it with his name embroidered on the bottom. If it gets a hole in it I just applique a felt heart over. Lucatoni (husband's dog) is obsessed with gumnuts, he collects them and hides them all around the house and if anyone is outside a gumnut gets dropped at their feet so he can play fetch with it. Oh, gumnuts are the big seed pods from the eucalypts native to Australia.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:24 AM

they have a couple of them, one in thier bed/cage and one on the couch. course they like to lay on any of the quilts in the house.. :-D
Old 04-21-2010, 02:28 AM

Yes I made two quilts for both my dogs. And they are used all the time.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 AM

Does dog beds count? They are made out of flannel.../?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 AM

I made a doggie quilt for Miss Bess. I wash it and pack it away for the summer, but in the winter she loves to take her nap on the couch and she curls herself into a ball (back legs under her chin) (all 84 lbs of her) and I put the blanket on and she will lay there for two/three hours. Our other dog had arthritis in her hips and I am hoping that this will keep Bess' hips warm in the winter. She certainly loves to be covered up. Right now she is at my feet with a throw over her. What a diva! I was thinking of making "Bowser Blankies" and "Kitty Kovers" to make and sell as a 1/2 cottage industry here. Perfect for my collection of fat quarters. Ah, how we love our fur-babies. And then, note here - my husband is the one that says "Edie, BEss looks cold". Now, I ask you lab owners - how does an 84 pound black dog with his back legs under his chin look cold?????? The husband says it is BECAUSE her back legs are under her chin!!!
Ain't life grand! Think about it. It really is!

Last week I was reading "Real Simple" magazine and I noticed on the spine of the magazine a quote that I just fell in love with. I have it on the bottom of my messages here. It is about a dog. And it is so very true.

OK, I have a quilt to finish, better get to it. I found a really fun block to make. It is Quilter's Cache - 12" blocks - "Depression". There are 32 different pieces of fabric made into hst - and it will make two blocks - one for now, one for later (in my case, our granddaughter's graduation quilt. I made this first one for the cancer quilt...of which I have 33 of 35 blocks done!~~~~Edie
Old 04-21-2010, 04:39 AM

Indirectly, yes. I made a quilt sandwich to practice FMQ. After I was done playing, I looked at it and thought I would finish it off and put it on the back of the chair. My cat sits there when I do handquilting and sometimes she likes to 'knead' the chairtop. So I guess I made a 2fer - a guilt for the cat and a protector for the chair!!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 AM
tmg

I gave my dog 2 fleece blankets I made for my daughters when they were babies. So I guess she (the dog her name is Precious) got hand me downs.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 AM

But of course!! All of my dogs over the years have had their own special quilt. There are so many great 'doggie' fabrics out there - just go for it. Your pampered pooch will love it!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 AM

Have not had a pet since we had to put our dog, Freebie, down. But have made several blankets and cat toys for the animal shelter here. They really appreciated them. We are recieving two little kittens into our home this weekend. We're really excited. Will be making them a quilt for the couch. Until then I will share mine. Their names will be Millie, after my mom, and Ruby, after her sister. My aunt got a real kick out of that. My mom has dimentia and wouldn't understand if I told her. So sad because she would have spoiled them rotten. Sorry got a little off topic.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 AM

Guilty of making quilts for my pups. My daught just got her first puppy and I've made him 2 flannel blankets and have two small quilt tops ready to quilt for him.