Cutting out the fabric >

Cutting out the fabric

Cutting out the fabric

Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Cutting fabric is not my no.1
Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mimee4
Does anyone have the June Taylor Shape Cut Plus Ruler? It is so valuable - expensive but worth it, especially if you get it 50% off at Joann Fabrics. I've worn one out and am well on my way through my second one. I have cut as many as 6 or even 8 layers at a time and zip along cutting strips of any size. Mine is 18 inches wide and if I am cutting 2 1/2 inch strips, I can cut 7 stacks without moving the ruler or needing to trim up the edges. I highly recommend this. I use it almost all the time.
Here's a photo.
I have 2 of these and they are fantastic! They make cutting a breeze. The other night I cut a whole shoebox full of 3" squares and 3 x 5 1/2" squares to make a flying geese quilt. It only took me about 1 1/2 hours. That was with interuptions!

It is expensive, but well worth it. :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2010, 01:01 AM

I have to admit, I don't like cutting out fabric very much at the moment, mainly because I'm not very good at it yet! Need lots more practice, especially with long strips.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 AM

I really do not mind the cutting , since I remember how long it took before the rotary cutter, back when it was templates and sissors.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 AM

I was going to mention the shape cut ruler. I love those things. Yes they are a little expensive, but well worth the money. I love mine and make it so easy, and to me, a lot more accurate. Rulers have a tendency to slip, this one its so easy to check each time you make a cut. Lines are easy for old eyes.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 AM

I'm not fond of cutting either - the ruler slips, or I slip - so.....my husband bought me the Acuquilt GO for my birthday. It's awesome - makes cutting a snap. And it's fun to use.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sasseyib
Am I the only one who hates to cut the fabric? It seems to take so long and I am using a rotary cutter. I am going to make the easy 5 inch charm four patch that is in the tutorial so I am cutting my 5 inch squares. I am really new to this so I would appreciate any helpful hints. Thank you.
I did too until someone on the board recommended the ruler with the cutting slots. I got mine at Wal-Mart and just love it! It has marked, 1" grids running both vertically and horizontally so you can make your strips any width, any length...great for cutting those 5" squares like I just did.

I lay down 4 layers of fabric, line up my cutting lines and I have a whole bunch of squares cut in no time. It is really a great tool and I am so thrilled someone on the board recommended it to me.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM

If I'm making blocks that require lots of little pieces, I sometimes just cut the fabric for one or two blocks at a time. It's a little too burdensome if you're having to move and line up several different fabrics, but for one or two, it's not too bad. For me, it beats spending all that time cutting all of the strips for the entire quilt--and it's easier on my wrist.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sasseyib
Am I the only one who hates to cut the fabric? It seems to take so long and I am using a rotary cutter. I am going to make the easy 5 inch charm four patch that is in the tutorial so I am cutting my 5 inch squares. I am really new to this so I would appreciate any helpful hints. Thank you.
I bought a Fiskars "manual" strip cutting ruler at Nancy's Notions- It is a clear ruler with a rotary cutter attached. It can cut from 1 1/2" to 6 1/2" wide. It has made my quilting life so much easier!! It was not cheap but has saved me time and wear and tear on my wrists!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
just found a power cutting video to watch, Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bkJK...eature=related
Ooh, like that!