Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Progress on "Fall Splash" >

Progress on "Fall Splash"

Progress on "Fall Splash"

Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I'm making two--one for me and one for my sister.

I like how it's coming along.
I like how this is coming along also. May I be your sister too? I am adoptable! :lol:
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Karla,
Beautiful job on the colors and the blocks!
I'll come help with the ponies I am not that far away lol
Hugs
April
Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

sorry for you? a bit envious perhaps...do you really have young foals?

Our horses are all rescues, so we are constantly working out the issues left by previous owners and such...

They all learn real fast to deal with me gently and more carefully...my 20 yr old Morgan makes sure she keeps them in line...real protective of me.

So they come knock on my bedroom door to say "come out to play"...so I put aside my computer, and quilting to sit out with them while they work.

Have not worked with young horses since I was young & on my mother's farm.

Love the change in colors in your Fall Splash...
I would love to peek inside your head to hear how you keep fabrics and blocks in order for cutting, piecing and sewing like the design calls for. I would be afraid to get things out of order
Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 AM

Mary Ellen---Two foals were born here in 2005, 07, and 09. But, I'm not breeding horses anymore. Too stressful in many ways, and there are enough horses in the world. I have five now--all keepers. :wink:

Sounds like you have some wonderful equine there--and it's a good place for them to be. :-D

I would love to peek inside your head to hear how you keep fabrics and blocks in order for cutting, piecing and sewing like the design calls for. I would be afraid to get things out of order
Well--I have all the triangles on my ironing board--and I create this block by block. I lay out the first eight triangles exactly as I want them, then I arrange them in pairs for sewing. I do a continuous seam--then snip them apart in order--iron--and lay them out again. I decide if I want to make any changes, then finish those eight. Then I add the outer four triangles--this requires much decision making :roll: and place them on top--stack them by the machine--then sew them on. So--it's not too hard to keep track of colors. But, with this design, I don't make too many at a time. I keep my eye on the print out and try to make what I need. Extra blocks help me make the exact placement I want in the end. This takes awhile. I can only focus so long before I need to run around and get some energy out--that's where the horses come in. :lol:
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM

By asking the questions I find mind boggling, I just know from experience that others were wondering the same thing, and just too afraid of sounding dumb or ignorant to ask them...so being the bold one, I am not afraid to sound dumb or ignorant..that is how I learn...from others who have trod this trail before me, from my mistakes as well as the mistakes of others...

As for the horses, even though I am disabled, the horses can come to my bedroom door, as that leads to their main pasture and their barn. They know how to knock on the steel door with their hooves, and even open the "thumb set" door knob with their mouths if I forget to put the deadbolt on...

Living in Florida, they drink a lot of water. Just came and gave me a break letting me know they had used up all their water...
my 9 year old grandson keeps wondering how I learned to speak horse...LOL
Grew up on a farm. They are smart enough to know to just keep trying and we will figure it out, and sometimes they are even smart enough to know if they paw at the ground and winnie, sort of like in the old Lassie shows...I will follow them, and solve the issue of distress.

So even if I was not at a pre-designed stopping place, they give me a reason to take a break. I only have resuce horses...and they are so grateful to no longer be in need of rescue, they behave exceptionally well...and treat me as if I were the foal they need to protect. :-)

Thanks for the sewing project mini lesson...
for some, like my youngest DD, to read is not to understand or visualize...so would you mind going an extra mile or ten, the next time to tackle a complicated design...and use your digital camera to take photos of the stages, post to your project in order, so we can see the stages, step by step, the computer print out and the completed top?

Bold of purpose, assertive with good intent and need, often opens doors that many can enter and enjoy.

Thank you for being generous of mind and thought...sharing how you got through that complicated process.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM

Weeellll... the making of the block isn't difficult. I use a special ruler that shows where to cut--a Kaleido-Ruler by Marti Michell. And I put the block together almost the opposite from how she suggests--so I'd rather have folks do what she says rather than what I do. As far as color--that's just an instinctive thing--can't put that into words or a tutorial.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Looking gooood!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Have I missed the final edition? I"m anxious to see it finished. No pressure, just be sure to post it!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM

awesome, awesome