Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine for a child >

sewing machine for a child

sewing machine for a child

Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM

I am teaching 2 young girls in our neighborhood how to sew. I tried several machines, and settled on the Janome 8077. It had 3 features that I thought were really important: an adjustable speed (a VERY important feature that was missing on the less expensive Janomes), a drop-in bobbin, and a start/stop button (so they don't have to use the foot control). Coincidentally, the machine also has loads of stitches and I can take it to quilting classes with me much more easily than I can take either of my ultra-heavy Berninas. It's not really cheap, but it is often on sale at Hancock's. I have been extremely pleased with it so far.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 PM

We use the Baby Lock "Natalie" for the kids classes I teach. Affordable, basic and yet a real machine.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM

My grandchildren are all learning to sew on my Featherweight and they think that is great because they know that I use it all the time. My 8 year old granddaughter told her parents that she only wanted one thing for Christmas, a sewing machine just like grandmas. A Bernina embroidery machine!! LOL
Old 04-21-2010, 03:39 PM

I have a Janome AQS 2009, weighs only 12 pounds. I has the vairable speed sewing and would be great for teaching children or anyone sewing. Doesn't have a lot of stitches but has the drop in bobbin. Needle down, anchoring stitches, button holes. And would be easy to transport if needed.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Do you mean the Brother LS2125i? When I started my sewing class I purchased 4 of those machines at Wallmart. They were great! The only negative thing I can say is I didn't care for the first guide the thread went through, it has a small metal guide the thread goes under, I had to tweak it on a couple of the machines and I was concerned about it breaking, although it never did.

I have since upgraded to other machines. I sold them on Craigslist. A gal bought one to take to a purse making class she was taking. The next day the teacher of the class called me and asked if I had anymore machines. She came by and purchased the other 3 for use in her classroom!

The Project Runway Brother machine is very highly rated on Consumer Reports and has a few extra perks. That would be a good machine as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by Up North
I have had good luck with Brother. I got my granddaughter (6) a Janome Jem but it is a small machine, I agree a full size machine at a reasonable price for starting out and she can always up grade if she decides sewing is for her. I wish now I would have gotten My GD a full size machine.
I think a Janome Jem is a perfect machine for a child to start off with. They are a smaller machine and children are smaller than adults, so it's a good size. Janome puts out really good machines with lots of stitches and the machines are easy to use.

Let us know what you decide.
I love my Janome 760 - I hope she really likes to sew - Tell we look forward to seeing some of her work
Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Hubby just got me a Brother CS4000 for a back up and my 10 year old grandson used it without any problem and loved having a few fancy stitches. Got it refurbished on Overstock.com for under $100 including shipping. I like it too, though my Bernina is my first love!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM

I have a lightweight Brother CS6000i I think would also work nicely as a child's first sewing machine.

Stephanie
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 PM

Kids like the more buttons and stitches the better.
My 10 yr old neices daughter was sewing a quilt I was helping her with. I took an easy machine and she ws not interested in it al all she wanted to sew on my computer machine, so needless to say she took over my nice machine. Her 5 yr old brother said we dont I get to sew... and I ask you really want to sew, he was not intemidated at all on it... he was so proun of his little blanket he wanted to take a picture to send to his daddy in Iraq.... so kids now a day if they are interested at all need more than straight st and zz. I teach kids sewing i the summer and we have from 5 to 12 year olds
The younger boys seam to be more into learning than some of the older sisters.... Good she has someone to show her, teach her well so she can teach outher when she grow up... I love for kids to sew.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

[quote=winia]My ten-year-old granddaughter wants to sew. What
machine would you recommend? I don't want to get her
one of the "kiddie" machines. I want a machine that
works properly, but not too expensive. I think it would
totally turn her off sewing if she got a machine that was
inferior and didn't work properly.

I gave my 2 grandchildren Jem Golds 3 yrs. ago. I have my own waiting for the 6 yr old to get older. I still use it. My granddaughter, now 13, quilts. My grandson, now 17, did sew up Mets pillows when he was younger. Now seems interested only in his I-Pod, La Crosse and girls - not sure of the order.
I also have a Jem platinum that I use for workshops etc.
They both do everything that I do on my Bernina, including machine quilting.