Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Betcha never did this before >

Betcha never did this before

Betcha never did this before

Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Been there also!!! you can be sure I never did it that way again -- I recently hired a lady to quilt a quilt for me. She said she uses a stapler to hold the layers together. Anyone ever use that method? Not sure how it works. I've tried the little "basting gun" that uses the plastic "stems" (like how price tags are attached to clothes) but had too much "give" in the layers, so haven't used it again.. Safety pins kill my fingers, but works well. But would be interested in learning more about the stapling method...
Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 PM

You are not alone. I too have gotten into my quilts semi permanently HaHa
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM

I got the T shirt for doing that too. :)
Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM

I wouldn't be able to stay down on the floor long enough to baste anything to anything! The bod wouldn't allow it.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM

How do you do your quilt as you go?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Many years ago I did almost the same thing - only difference was that I was learning to tie a quilt so I tied it to the carpet and it was the loop kind of carpet - not good.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have at least one or two pins that are stuck to the carpet when I bast a quilt.

Since we are on the subject..........Has anyone used one of those basting guns? Its like the guns you use to put tags on clothes. You load it with the plastic "Pins" and it has a needle that after you stick it and pull the trigger the plastic tie comes through the needle and its basted.

They are $27 at Hancock Fabrics and the plastic ties are $4 per 500 or so. I am thinking about buying one for the heck of it and try it out.

Billy
I use the basting gun and love it. I use the thingy that looks like a cooling rack or something to slide under the layers so that I don't baste the quilt to the carpet.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by kaykid815
Been there also!!! you can be sure I never did it that way again -- I recently hired a lady to quilt a quilt for me. She said she uses a stapler to hold the layers together. Anyone ever use that method? Not sure how it works. I've tried the little "basting gun" that uses the plastic "stems" (like how price tags are attached to clothes) but had too much "give" in the layers, so haven't used it again.. Safety pins kill my fingers, but works well. But would be interested in learning more about the stapling method...
Have you ever used a teaspoon to help with the safety pins? I saw it done on Simply Quilts and tried it. I like it.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM

I won't say what sort of things I have done that caused my DH to laugh his head off. we bought a kit to put a fish pond in about 8 or nine years ago and it has a nice large side of cardboard that is good size to put between the rug and the backing and lately between the bedspread and the backing. I put it under the bed when I'm not using it and it's so handy. But I really prefer to go to the church and put a few tables together.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:19 PM

I used to use the floor to lay out my clothing patterns but the older I get the further from the floor I want to be; now I have a drop leaf cutting table that I use. I have one of the basting guns but haven't used it yet; I don't usually use lofty batting so I'm afraid of too much slop. I usually just use safety pins.