Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made your dog or cat a quilt? >

Have you made your dog or cat a quilt?

Have you made your dog or cat a quilt?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was wondering if you have made your dog or cat a quilt?

We have a shih tzu dog and he loves laying on one of the quilts I bought at a craft show on the couch. Felix our dog will be 7 years old on April 22nd.

I am thinking of making him one.

Craftybear
I made one for our kitty and he just loved it. He loved all of my quilts and we always found him on one of my quilts including what I'm working on at the time. Sometimes it got interesting him moving him so I could move my fabric. I made his for the foot of our bed when the quilt we were using was starting to show where on the area where he was always resting. His quilt protected that area plus then I could was his little one and not have to wash my queen so often due to a soiled area where he liked to live. By all means, make one.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I started one for my cat we lost a few yrs ago. i must dig it out of all the tops i have and finish it.
i did put a quilt cover over an ottoman for my mamma cat to keep her from clawing it.works well and she loves it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-35863.jpe
Views:	51
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	35863  
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM

I had fudges neckerchiefs for more that 4 years before I made a sm quilt from them. my baylee has a baby quilt i made 19 years ago. I am searching for a rescue toy again.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

a long time ago i made some for our first two cats. one was from a blanket that i cut a foot off because we had a waterbed and it was too wide. i embroidered her name on it. the other one was a flannel pieced quilt with his name on it. When they had to be put down, we wrapped them up in their blankets and buried it with them. the 3 cats that i have now haven't gotten blankets-they pretty much just use mine.lol
Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 PM

I've made a lot of them. I use fleece or flannel and put 2 layers together, round off the corners and serge all around the edge. and put a few bar tacks in them to hold them together. I've also used left over pieces and cut and sew them together until large enough and add a backing. whatever I have on hand. I then donate them to the vet or spca in our area. Linda
Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM

friend and I made cat blankets one year, put catnip between the front and back ,her daughter sold them ,
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM

I made my grandpuppy a turning twenty with bright colors and lots of puppy/bone/paw prints. It was NOT used to sleep on but to cover his sleeping cage. So of course I just had to make him a big pillow for in the cage.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:50 AM

yes craftybear i have made my wiener dog sasha who is now 8 yrs old joannes fabrics had a dog kit with material of all kinds of materials and you sew them together in blocks my sasha loves it and gets covered every nite with it. i now have to make one for my zena who is a 9 mo old long haired wiener dog.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:05 AM

Yes, made one for my son's dog. I used leftovers from a larger quilt; did an applique similar to what the dog looks like and put his name on the collar. Son and dog both loved it!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 AM

thats a great idea. i had an idea to make blankets out of fake fur that i had already and didn't for dogs in shelters all different sizes.