Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!! >

Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!!

Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Now my point of view.....some very good points here. I, too, was molested....and I worked for a gov. agency that helped people that were molested. My best friend here was horribly molested by father AND grandfather. There are numerous counseling services in this country now...including this tiny town. I watch tv for entertainment....NOT to come away depressed and sickened. There are other shows I don't watch, also. I, too, felt Oprah was going for ratings...and just the attitude of the brother on the commercials, made me think HE was going for the "show". I feel sorry for Monique....but I won't be able to watch anything she's in without picturing her and her brother....she's lost me as a possible fan....and so has Oprah.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM

I watched the show. I didn't think of it as something for ratings, but exposing a silent and harsh reality that many survivors have to live with.

About 20 years ago, I told family what my brother did to me over the years. I also told friends. That is when I discovered MANY people had kept the same dirty secret and we all allowed a molester in the family to continue his horrid deed for years. We all pretended every thing was normal.

I hope teens watched this show. They are the victims, and not yet the survivors. I hope they will have the courage to speak up, and stand up for themselves. However, what I hope for the most, is that their family will support them and do right by them. My family took sides and destroyed the unit, and the damage was done by the time they realized what the truth really was.

I didn't enjoy the show by any means and I didn't think it did much in the way of educating people. Mostly what I saw was a forum for a molester to make excuses for himself and offer a useless apology.

Diane
Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM

I have watched Oprah for years and repeatedly admired things in her shows that (I believe) would make a difference for many people in the world. There have been shows I chose not to watch.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 PM

i tried to be a fan of oprah but what really turns me against her is her use of profanity! one time she did a tour of her studio and was showing us around with a camera crew and it was beep beep beep because of her profanity! i have also seen her being beeped on other shows! she speaks of being your best, etc. but i don't think the woman i want to be includes being a potty mouth! i'm done with oprah! and by the way---be careful of the books she endorses - they are not all moral reading!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 AM

I saw this post the other day, and waited to respond.

I'm just....meh...about this particular episode. I only watched about 15-20 minutes then I deleted it. It did nothing in the way of helping surviors that hasn't been done before; her story is not any different than the thousands of others that have gone before. I don't know that her being "famous" made the story any different. I *do* think the brother was pleading for sympathy and understanding and forgiveness and all that. To which I say: not all those that were molested, molest others. Take some freakin' responsibility already. It's not about seeing your side. I realize he's in pain, but really? I have no sympathy for why murderers snatch a jogger off the street, either.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

I don't think that should be done. God bless. Penny