Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flat Rate Mailers FYI >

Flat Rate Mailers FYI

Flat Rate Mailers FYI

Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
I like to use the tough plastic mailers, but they are really hard to find. Sometimes I have one I can re-use.
Does anyone have a source for these mailers?
I just did a search for "plastic mailers." There were many sources listed.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks, sometimes my brain doesn't kick in very fast.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Banned

Thank you Doug for the information. Penny
Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Being originally from England, I'm used to weighing all my ingredients when baking or cooking rather than the "cup" method.

That being the case, I have a good kitchen scale which is extremely accurate (it's electronic). I pack and weigh at home, print out a shipping label and put it out for the mailman. If it won't fit in the box I leave it double-wrapped in plastic shopping bags and hang it from the "flag" and put a note in the box asking him/her to take it.

I've never had a problem with the weight/postage being incorrect. And, as another poster said, you get tracking online all the way to its destination.

And if you buy a kitchen scale, who knows you may find you like it for actual kitchen use!!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM

I found that having them weigh your pkg is the best way to go. That way you can decide if flat rate is cheaper or not and a good PO employee would be happy to do this for you!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM

BJ and others:
The flat rate box is wonderful for heavy mailings. However, for other things, it is not necessarily the most cost efficient way. I've checked it out. Silvia
Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM

I won't send any more as when the insurance is added, it cost me $40.00. I will hand deliver them from now on.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 PM

OK, so this is what I should have done. I just took another package to the PO. It weighed only 2.2 lbs. so I thought it would be much cheaper to ship in my own box. It was going to Oregon. I expected it to be less than $4. Well, it was just under $10. She wanted me to put it in a flat rate box for $10.70. That was still $1 more than what I paid. Too confusing. Guess I will take a note from your page and package it up at home and bring my tape with me. If it's cheaper in the flat rate I will go that way, if not, I will leave it in my box. They can't make it easy for us, can they?
Originally Posted by amma
I take my items, my own box or envelope, tape, etc. I have the PO weigh it and tell me which way is the cheapest to send it. Then I use their table to get it ready to go :D:D:D
The distance it has to travel, the weight, size of boxes, thickness of the envelope, all play into the final cost. I gave up trying to play the guessing game :roll:
Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Good morning everyone:
I know there's been a lot of talk about the flat rate mailers at the PO. Well, I wanted to give you some info I just found out today while at the PO mailing off a couple of QFK quilts. It ISN'T always cheaper to use this method. I had the lady weigh the pkg and let me know how much it would have been had I NOT used a flat rate box. It would have been almost $4 cheaper to use my own box. Just thought I'd share this info in case you were thinking the flat rate was the better way to go.
Your quilty friend,
Doug
I found that out mailing a wedding gift. It was actually $3 cheaper than the flat rate box.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM

I often put things in a zip lock bag; then place into those large yellow enevelopes. Ends up alot cheaper that way.