Quilt Challenge!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM

Great quilt!! I love the way you put it all together. Lucky person who gets it.
YTQ
Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by angels13blue
I was wondering the same thing........lol K
"A mile a minute" as I have done it is to Have strips on the left and scraps on the right. Take a strip, face up and add, face down. scrap pieces to the strip. These are called onesies. Cut the onesies from the strip and press seams to the dark or what-ever. Take another strip and add the onesies to the strip. Cut and this makes twosies. Add the twosies to another strip piece by piece. At som point sew the pieces together. When you have a large enough patch, place a 6"(or other size) transparent template over the patch..looking for an arrangement that you like. Be sure to not have pieces less than 1" on the edges, and cut with rotary blade. When you have collected enough blocks decide whether to ue sashing or notto put the blocks together. I have seen both methods done sucessfully..your eye will tell you. I am always tempted to color coordinate, but more fun it you don't. Galatotesa
Old 04-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by angels13blue
I was wondering the same thing........lol K
"A mile a minute" as I have done it is to Have strips on the left and scraps on the right. Take a strip, face up and add, face down. scrap pieces to the strip. These are called onesies. Cut the onesies from the strip and press seams to the dark or what-ever. Take another strip and add the onesies to the strip. Cut and this makes twosies. Add the twosies to another strip piece by piece. At som point sew the pieces together. When you have a large enough patch, place a 6"(or other size) transparent template over the patch..looking for an arrangement that you like. Be sure to not have pieces less than 1" on the edges, and cut with rotary blade. When you have collected enough blocks decide whether to ue sashing or notto put the blocks together. I have seen both methods done sucessfully..your eye will tell you. I am always tempted to color coordinate, but more fun it you don't. Galatotesa
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by galatotesa
"Mile a minute" is a great way to use up scraps and have a lot of fun. I saw a "Mile a minute" quilt at a quilt show that was incredibly oustanding. The sashing was grey and the right propotions to make it WORK. Galatotesa
can you post a picture of your "Mile a Minute", please?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marta
What are the "mile a minute blocks!"
Google: Mile a Minute Quilts and click on Patchwork Pie (it's the 2nd one down) there's a visual tutorial and a picture of the completed quilt.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM

http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/200...ute-quilt.html

Link to Patchwork Pie
Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 AM

I save all my scraps. I have made 3 quilts just this year. I made 2 lap quilts and on twin size. I belong to a quilting club and we pool all our scraps and leftovers. Then we make lap quilts for the veterans hospital. We also make long bibs for nursing home. The quilts turns out really nice using different ideas from each person. :lol: :D
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 AM

I accept the challenge to make a scrap quilt by December!
Like most of you I too have boxes of scraps, many long strips that were left over from bindings. I have organized them by colors so they are easy to use for other projects.
My cousin recently died and I inherited all her fabrics, all of good quality and many batiks. I have been wanting to make a batik quilt???
Old 05-02-2010, 05:36 AM

In reply to happyfarmwife. I am fortunate as a senior cit. to live next door to a rural fabric quilt store. She buys mill ends,fabs from stores going out of business etc. Her prices are geared to the low income rural people. Fabric is good quality, even lots of name brands. lol At a price that seniors on ss can afford. Jolo
Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 AM

Ladyredhawk. where in Ok are you? In Antlers,Ok Betsys Quilts is a rural shop,she has fabrics you wouldnt believe. She has a dolar table. all on it is a dollar/yd. Some have faults and markings from the factory, Mill ends and seconds. She has a 2 dollar table and she has high end fabs like thimbleberrys, Kaufman etc. At resonable prices. Jolo