Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Wedding Dress quilt? >

A Wedding Dress quilt?

A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:22 PM

I made a Christening Gown out of DD#3's wedding gown. She was really amazed how well it turned out. She showed it to all her friends & they couldn't hardly believe I made it & out of her wedding gown at that. I was pleased how well it turned out myself. I do have a photo of it, but don't know how to put it on the forum.

Halo
Old 04-25-2010, 05:32 PM

I think it would be awesome gift for a bride to get a quilt made from her mother's dress.
My daughter and myself both got married in the same dress (it was my second marriage, so it isn't white) but now I'm thinking of making a quilt for my granddaughter or maybe my daughter out of it.
Carol B
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Hi, I noted the post about the gowns being preserved. My daughter had her reception at a local historic site. They took lots of pictures on the grounds. He was lovely but it rained the morning of the wedding. After the wedding her gown was soiled on the bottom at least a foot up all around with mud and grass. She was really upset. I carefull read the label and the gown while lovely and on sale for $800 plus another $100 in alterations and bustling, was made of polyester. I put it in my washing machine with a gentle detergent, cool water and the delicate cycle. It came out almost pristine. I hung it from the ceiling in my laundry room in the basement to dry. The bottom is slightly stained as the dirt in our area has a lot of iron in it that gives it a red look. I had read up on gowns etc. before the wedding because I had considered making hers. They mentioned in the research I did that the "preservation" thing was mostly a gimic and that the "preservers" often throw the gowns in a washing machine. No one believes I actually did that but I certainly wasn't going to store it with red mud all over the bottom. She bought a special box to store it and acid free tissue etc. With the synthetic fabrics we have now that probably wasn't even necessary.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Google wedding dress quilt for lots of ideas
Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 PM
som

SHRABAI, AM ALSO IN CAPE GIRARDEAU, SOM
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 PM

I have a good friend who took her wedding dress and made a Christening outfit which was worn by all her kids. She also made a wedding ring pillow which has been used in the weddings of her children, and added a blue ribbon to the garter she has made for her daughters and DILs. Her grandchildren have also worn the Christening outfit and will likely wear the garter and use the pillow in their own weddings.

I thought that was a fabulous way to keep her wedding dress in the family.

Diane
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

I bet you will make one beautiful quilt. Maybe for the label you could print a picture of her in it on here wedding day, on fabric. I think that would even make it more special then her mommy making it for her. God bless. Penny
Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 PM

hi my name is linda this is my frist my here

about the wedding dress i had friend that did a wedding dress
quilting but she whet to the good well shop and bougth used
wedding dress could not all same color so she tea die them
and blow dryed them setting togather it was very nice
linda in tx
Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM

I know a lady that is an Art Quilt Instructor who made a quilt with her wedding dress and it has a sort of crazy qult background with family photo's inserted in it. It really is lovely. She left the front of the dress as it is and appliqued it over the crazy quilt/photo album quilt. You might like to do something like that.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 PM

That is an absolutely gorgeous gown. It would be imposs. for me to put scissors to it.

My daughter wore my gown so I'm hoping my granddaughter will wear it as well but she assures me she has no interest in it. She says it's too old fashion. I'm hoping her practical side will remind her that it's only for about an hr. that she'll be in it. I don't push her hard though since she has a right to wear what she wants.

I admire anybody who would be able to cut one up to make a quilt. I admit it's really a sensible way to preserve it though.
Pat