Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Irons >

Mini Irons

Mini Irons

Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM

If you live near a camping store, they carry a small ironing board with feet that sits on a table. the feet just fold up under it and there is also one that folds in half. Would fit in bag to carry with you. they are about the size of a toy board. I have also taken a piece of muslin-lined it with tin foil and folded it over to use on my cutting table. You can also use the insulate material available at the fabric store to make your own ironing pad.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM

I also have the Clover brand, and it can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention. My niece burned her finger on her's because she wasn't watching when she went to pick it up, and ended up grabbing the hot wand part of it that is not covered by the burgundy casing. I do like mine though because it does a real nice job of pressing. I am just VERY careful when using it.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM

I have a Clover & love it. Use it for paper piecing, applique & all smaller p[ecing. Its a;so great for workshops. I've had mine for years - got it at Joann;s with a 40 or 50% off coupon. I use a small travel iron next to my machine for longer seams & then use the ironing board & full size iron to press the seams once sections are joined.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM

I have one. I don't need it often, but it is perfect when you have a bunch of seams overlapping, or in other situations where a big iron sometimes makes more mess than it does good. I bought my Clover Mini at Joann's or Hancock's many years ago at half price.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM

LITTLE TIP.....

I put one of those black metal, large paper clips...like you get at office stores to hold large groups of paper together...the kind with silver wings that you squeeze together... hope this makes sense. Anyway, get the correct size for your mini-iron and put it on the shaft of it and it works great for a little stand! Much better then the worthless little plastic cheap one that came with the Clover iron. I also used plyers (not easy) to turn the little silver wings out a little to form "feet"...but this isn't necessary. I just leave it on the iron at all times and use it with it on there, and your iron doesn't fall to the side.

Also of note, I purchased the cute little pink iron at Joanns...the $9.99 one...just had to have it because it was PINK and cute. Thought I would use it at classes...I was really disappointed... it never got "hot" just over warm was all I could get out of it. Now it sits in my sewing area as just decoration... $9.99 worth of CUTE :D
Julie in AZ
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned

I bought a clover a while ago, use to do a lot of crafts, I guess I will pull it out and start using it, as I love to applaque. thank you ladies for the information. God bless. Penny
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Penny, I am just starting to do applique. Do you have any patterns you would be willing to share? Thank you!
Linda
Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM

I love mine.it beats getting up and down all the time.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Nice thread, some interesting ideas.

Has anyone got/tried this mini iron as shown this time in the Keepsake Quilting catalog?
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...TE-PRESS7trade;IRON-HOLDER.htm
Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 AM

I have the mini one and love it.
Have the bigger one and love it and also have the little craft iron and love it too
Depends on what I am doind as to what one I use...
When doing hot ribbon I use the tini mini one... the ribbon is only 18 in wide.
Connie