Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what long arm machine and frame would you buy and why >

what long arm machine and frame would you buy and why

what long arm machine and frame would you buy and why

Old 04-25-2010, 12:49 PM

I recommend research, research, research. My pocketbook was a factor and I ended up buying a Homesteader to use on the frame I already had. I've been pleased so far and the price didn't break the bank.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM

I researched for a long time - a good 2 years. I went to a couple of big quilt shows and played with every model that was out on the floor, jotted down my thoughts and compared them from the year before. It was easy for me to narrow down my choices that way, and better to compare them on the same day. I ended up with my 'dream' machine and my 'runner up' machine.

Last we we went and bought a machine that was neither of those :roll: - but it came in at a price point that allowed me to purchase it outright and not worry about making money with it. The long arm quilters I've been hanging around are of a mind that it is more the operator than the machine, which makes me more confident in my choice.

Most of the machines on the market are decent, manufactured by responsible companies - it really comes down to what you're comfortable with, both in a machine and in a price.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Roben
I researched for a long time - a good 2 years. I went to a couple of big quilt shows and played with every model that was out on the floor, jotted down my thoughts and compared them from the year before. It was easy for me to narrow down my choices that way, and better to compare them on the same day. I ended up with my 'dream' machine and my 'runner up' machine.

Last we we went and bought a machine that was neither of those :roll: - but it came in at a price point that allowed me to purchase it outright and not worry about making money with it. The long arm quilters I've been hanging around are of a mind that it is more the operator than the machine, which makes me more confident in my choice.

Most of the machines on the market are decent, manufactured by responsible companies - it really comes down to what you're comfortable with, both in a machine and in a price.

what machine did you get and what frame ?? i an interested in the 26 inch because i have a janome and a new joy frame i get apox 5 in of quilting space and that drives me nuts. i can't so very much in the way of sp designs on the quilt i run out of room any i know i can spend no more than 10,000.00 so i want to make sure im happy with it i have been researching for 2 years and still do not know enough or what to ask but im learning

thank you for your help

memathomas
Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Pam

Look at Innova. My Mom got one and she likes it.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by memathomas
what machine did you get and what frame ?? i an interested in the 26 inch because i have a janome and a new joy frame i get apox 5 in of quilting space and that drives me nuts. i can't so very much in the way of sp designs on the quilt i run out of room any i know i can spend no more than 10,000.00 so i want to make sure im happy with it i have been researching for 2 years and still do not know enough or what to ask but im learning

thank you for your help

memathomas
I decided on a Tin Lizzie 18LS - an 18 inch machine (16" of quilting space, a little less as you get to the end of a quilt but plenty big enough to do a 12" block) with a stitch regulator , laser (for pantographs), and the Gracie frame. I've played with the one my dealer has, and have done quilts on it - overall I was pleased with the machine. The frame is solid, the machine moves smoothly and the stitch regulator does a nice job. The price point was something I could live with, which is important to me right now (hubby was recently diagnosed with a rare cancer and we're not sure what all that means just yet.) I wanted something that wouldn't restrict me size-wise, capability-wise or price-wise - and Lizzie fit that for me.

I looked at the 26" machines, but my arms aren't that long! :oops: :lol:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM

I love the way you think!

Originally Posted by BKrenning
If money wasn't a concern, I'd send all my tops out to be professionally quilted so I'd have more time to make more tops and more space for the phenomenal stash I'd buy!