Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I am a "Blanket maker" >

I think I am a "Blanket maker"

I think I am a "Blanket maker"

Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM

I find flannel very hard to work with unless I use a walking foot.

But, I've said it before and I'll say it again.....If you ever run across someone that says they've made a perfect quilt STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!! If they'll lie about their quilt making they'll lie about other things too.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks everyone! I had a good time doing it. Yesterday I spent about 6 hours cutting my scraps into strips. I had my cutting mat on the floor and was using my rotery cutter and watching the movie Clue. When I was in middle school my friends and I watched it on video all the time. I still remember a ton of the words. My daughter thought I was crazy . . . talking along with the movie :) But it made the time go fast, and now that I can actually see something in the fabric I have I think I will be inspired to make something out of it! :)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 PM

I have to agree with all the comments made on this board, its the thought and the time and effort you made to put into the quilt and how it would be use by others. I often wonder at quilt shows that those that won blue ribbons were ever, ever use or if they were just a show piece on someone's wall. To me quilting is about giving and enjoying the comfort that someone thought you special enough to put forth the effort in creating one for you. That's just me and its my personal opinion...there also is an art form in quilting, but then I know a lot of artists and they don't create their work on how the judges decide who get a blue ribbon. They create their work on personal satisfaction just a a painter, or any other artist would do. Do deviate from that thought would not be considered "non-creative" and no originality to the end product. Thats just my personal feelings on the topic.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Grama used to say that a handmade quilt is a warm and loving hug from the heart of the quilter.
I like that and I think I see "warm and loving" in your quilt.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Pretty quilt and such peaceful looking colors. Just keep making quilts, learn what you can and you will be surprised how you will be more pleased with your work.

I try with every quilt to make a perfect quilt and haven't achieved it yet, I keep trying, Oldest Daughter tells me there is no such thing. I figure if I keep trying, I may at least get closer than if I don't try. I can be very hard on myself.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I find flannel very hard to work with unless I use a walking foot.

But, I've said it before and I'll say it again.....If you ever run across someone that says they've made a perfect quilt STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!! If they'll lie about their quilt making they'll lie about other things too.
Well said. I bet they lie about their age and weight too. :lol:
Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM
JAQ

Blanket maker. Hmmm. I like that.

I'm with you - I want my quilts to be used - not just looked at.

JAQ
Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 PM

I'm an Amish quilter. They never make a perfect quilt, always one mistake in their quilt (deliberately if need be), but I'm just more Amish than some of those ladies.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 PM

I heard somewhere that a true handmade quilt always has one mistake in it somewhere.... other wise it could just be made in a factory
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I heard somewhere that a true handmade quilt always has one mistake in it somewhere.... other wise it could just be made in a factory
Even factories have a "fudge" factor.
I worked for one of the best factories in that they inspected and expected a high standard of performance. I was encouraged to do it all perfectly, but there was a bit of a leeway no matter what operation.
I know where every mistake in my quilt is, but I know that my work is quality and the next one will be better, because I will try harder.
Part of life and living is understanding that as humans, it is darned near impossible to be "perfect" ... but KEEP trying ... that is the most important part of the process. If we ever quit trying to be better, we become less of the person we were designed to be.
One of my bosses had a sign that I have treasured since the first time I ever saw it:
"A mistake is evidence that someone tried to accomplish something"
Do not rob yourself of joy because you don't get it all done correctly ... be proud of the fact that you can figure out a more effective way to achieve what you want - - a good product for the use it was designed. And, be grateful that tomorrow, you may have the opportunity to give it another go -- <wave>