Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity quilts >

Charity quilts

Charity quilts

Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM

I make charity quilts with a 90 year old senior lady friend - donating to the local senior care center - we use fabrics from our stashes, and make the quilts scrappy, but color coordinated with one main focus fabric - for speed, we just use 6.5" blocks in a random or designed pattern. We also use the 'inside out' method so no binding required, and we tie, using thin yarn. My 90 year old friend doesn't have much energy, and what energy she has doesn't last long, so we only quilt for one to three hours per week, so it takes us about one month for each quilt. I also make pillowcases for donation, either from my stash or from newly purchased just for that purpose.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 AM

I MAKE RAG QUILTS FROM DEMIN AND FLANNEL.
I USUALLY BUY MY MATERIAL. SOMETIMES I GET ALL
KINDS OF MATERIAL FROM THE LEADER OF PROJECT
LINUS THAT I GIVE ALL MY CHARITY QUILTS TO. I ALSO
MAKE SERGER QUILTS FOR THEM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM

I make charity quilts for "Quilts From The Heart" and they are distributed to several shelters etc... in our local area. There is a group of us and we use fabric donated as well as in our own stash. The Coordinator of the Kitsap Chaper of QFTH challenged us to make scrappy quilts from 2 1/2" squares and/or 2 1/2" strips. You will be pleasently surprised at the number of patterns you can come us with just using those scraps. QFTH has a website if your are interested. I also like scrapquilt.com for some pattern options.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 AM

I use fabric from my sash and sometime buy new fabric 0f nothing I have matches.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM

I go to my scrap box, this way I can make a cute scrap quilt as well as a way to use up my scraps. Whenever my box gets full. I know its time to make a quilt for charity.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM

It depends. Usually, I use from my stash. However, I am in the middle of a ShopHop and have purchased several pieces for charity quilts/pillowcase, etc. So, guess I have to say I use both at this point.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM

I am rite now doing the quilts for kids where they send me the kits and i just get the cotton batten to finish them , I rather do it that way because liek others i use my stash fo rfamily an dfriends of gifts exctra. plus too I buy quilt kits from Connecting threads that are marked down in price. as I can't afford th ebig buck prices else ware. I do get bits of fabric at times and stock up and plan mine. but nothing like a quilt kit that was 30.00 odd dollars marked down to 9.00 is a great buy and all i hav eot do is add back fabric and batten theer fast and easy . and i don't have to fret about colors going to gether. hugs ((((())))) Weze

this iis a quilt kit i go tfrom connecting thread I am making for a friend that just had breast caner surgery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12768[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-12768.jpe
Views:	23
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	12768  
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM

I am rite now doing the quilts for kids where they send me the kits and i just get the cotton batten to finish them , I rather do it that way because like others i use my stash fo rfamily an dfriends of gifts exctra. plus too I buy quilt kits from Connecting threads that are marked down in price. as I can't afford th ebig buck prices else ware. I do get bits of fabric at times and stock up and plan mine. but nothing like a quilt kit that was 30.00 odd dollars marked down to 9.00 is a great buy and all i hav eot do is add back fabric and batten theer fast and easy . and i don't have to fret about colors going to gether. hugs ((((())))) Weze
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM

sorry for th erepeat puppy jumped om me oh Allison ......
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM

I use those orphan blocks hanging around from testing a pattern. Challenge projects that didn't turn out right to suit me make perfect charity quilts provided there's no embellishments on it. Our quilting guild adopted a local nursing home and we make quitls for each new resident that arrives.