Do you cut all your threads?

Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by quilter64779
I love your actvar would love the pattern, Beautiful
Whose avatar?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I cut my threads as I go. This was drilled into me in Home Economics years ago. I can't stand the look of dangling threads. It only takes a second!

If my teacher saw a thread hanging we would immediately go down a grade. Last year when my granddaughter had sewing I was telling her the same thing. She got in the habit of cutting her threads and the teacher was so impressed she gave her extra credit.

A friend of mine just went to a quilt show and there were some quilts with hanging threads. I can't believe they would even allow one to be shown that way.
OMG! Mrs Cherry, my 8th grade sewing teacher, would come back to haunt me if I didn't clip EVERY hanging thread!!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Always cut threads! Mom always said to cut those threads! Not just a habit now, but I think it makes for a nicer finish. Pressing was also a big thing with Mom...so it's press, press and press!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 AM

I cut all my threads, it looks better and it makes me happy
not to have a mess of uncut threads on the back of my quilt
top/block. Pressing/ironing is necessary too, gives a neater
final product.
I learned to sew garments before I learned to make quilts.
Grandma and Mama taught me that my garments should have a neat appearance on the front and back when it was finished.
Sharon W.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have always wondered about the need to cut the threads. Do you cut your threads shorter or leave them dangle on the back of a quilt?

If you cut them - why?
I know this is going to make me sound crazy - maybe I am even lazy, but if the quilt is sandwiched and quilted and bound - who sees the threads and who is going to open it up to look?

I understand when there is dark thread and light fabric - it can show through.
What was STRESSED to me was "THE BACK SHOULD LOOK AS GOOD AS THE FRONT", I always thought it was dumb. But I find that I still do it and I would never think of doing it any other way.
I guess what I have wondered about is if there is a practical reason for cutting them? Would they cause the fabric to wear out or maybe it would someday work its way out a seam?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM

I have always trimmed mine and I tuck them into a plastic bag and in the spring I put them all out for the birds to feather their nests with. The birds love them and we love the colorful nests that we find later on.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 AM

I always clip. I learned the hard way. I didn't clip when I first started. I hand quilt and the needle would catch a thread and pull it through to the top. What a mess! I would imagine that could happen when machine quilting too. And those loose threads will always eventually show through the light pieces in my experience.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 AM

I cut my threads. It drives me crazy to have threads hanging loose.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM

I am compulsive at cutting all the threads short and right away. It would drive me batty to have all those threads hanging off the back. I know many quilters don't cut them, but I cannot NOT cut.

I guess I sew tidy. Its the only place in my life that is tidy!!! :)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.

Are you my long lost sister?
That was drilled into us too ... must trim and keep it tidy.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd you never re-did a seam (widened, straightened, etc.without taking out the previous stitches. And every time I don't do that now, I can hear my Mother chanting at me from beyond!! :)
We were taught by our mother too, that the back should look as neat as the front. Likewise, if you reseam, take out the previous one first. She hand embroidered (crewel and regular) and she always made sure the back was as neat as possible. Her motto was...."don't let it look home made", try to make it look as good as store bought or better. Therefore, I do clip all my threads, otherwise they would show through the lighter fabric on the front. Mary