Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you afford to quilt if..... >

How do you afford to quilt if.....

How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Joann's coupons and they will let you use Michaels also at there store, so I take both in to get more for the buck, I go into the sale section in the quilt stores checking prices, I love thrift store's,salvation army, goodwill, got 6 yrs of material for 6.00 yesterday light purple really pretty, garage sales around are area not to many craft items but I keep going one day I'll find something good,,,,,
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM

if I'm going to use old jeans for quilts what size do I make my squares?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Recycle it reuse it. Even if you don't see sewing items at a yard sale ask if they have any. My husband has gotten some really cool deals that way- especially as a man- little do they know he was raised by two retired marines- both haglers till they wore someone down.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM

How can you afford to quilt with limited finances? Make smaller quilts to give away. For example instead of making bed sized quilts for everyone give lap size. Be discerning about who you give quilts to. Only make quilts for who you want to. Many of us feel obligated to give a quilt to everyone who happens to know you or one of your relatives. Use quality muslin as background material or for backing.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Hi Jackie, Being on Social Security I feel your pain...I've tried a few places that have proved fruitful and perhaps they may help you too...
* freecycle.com: you can post adds for what you need and trade someone else for something you'd part with.
* Yahoo has some groups that are run very similar to freecycle. Mine is ArizonansHelping Arizonans.com
* yard sales
*Goodwill & Goodwill Clearance Centers
*Estate Sales

If you're not a yard sale person but have friends that are ask them to pick up certain items for you...Good Luck Hope this helps and continued Happy Quilting. :D :D :D
Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM

It always amuses me when I read here that Goodwill has material. I`ve stopped in and asked many times and in Green Bay they say that they never have any.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
It always amuses me when I read here that Goodwill has material. I`ve stopped in and asked many times and in Green Bay they say that they never have any.
I've never found any here in Coos Bay,OR either. They are so expensive on clothing I can't afford to buy them to use for quilts.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
If you're talking Green Bay WI try the other stores such as St Vincents you won't be diappointed
Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful tips. Quilters are so resourceful. I had only had a couple hours of sleep when I posted this topic so I worded it wrong. I meant to say that I AM lucky enough to have a stash to go to. But, that got me to thinking about quilters who do not have a stash to fall back on. It`s them I was concerned with. Sorry for any confusion. I will take these tips to heart you never know what life has in store for you. I may have to use these great tips someday. Thank you again.

Jackie
Old 04-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Sales wherever I can find them, Goodwill has great items at times. I buy curtains that look like they came from model homes or were display items and get them for $1.99. Then I take out the seams, wash them and use them to quilt with. Ebay can be a great source, but you have to watch the descriptions very carefully. Online fabric stores frequently have all kinds of sales and when they have bolt end or remnant sales I try to snatch up what I can. Also have raided my linens from over forty years, if I'm not using a tablecloth or napkins and haven't for the last forty years then it is fair game for a quilt.

Being on a fixed income is difficult, expecially when something unexpected pops up. Quilting makes me happy and makes me keep my mind active so I'm not going to give it up.

There are some terrific buys to be had from fellow members of this board and I've gotten some wonderful fabric for great prices.

We are quilters, we will find a way to keep us going.