Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 AM

[called me and asked, "If your son and I get divorced, will you still be my mother-in-law?" I thought that was the greatest compliment I could ever get. end of quote

Oh that is SO SWEET it is making me cry! Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write this post! I hope they never divorce for she sounds like a winner.

My cousin and her first DH divorced, (drop the D for he had a closet girlfriend, just her H) and yet my cousin kept a very close relationship with his mom even through the nursing home days and helped to take care of her.

I like the idea of leaving quilting magazine or a basic "how to" quilting book out and see if she wants to read it. That's how I got started; on my own by reading.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 AM

I agree about not pushing quilting on her. I would make some home decor items, like a cute apron or some pillows that goes with her colors and likes and maybe some quilted place mats or table runner. When she sees how cute handmade items are, that could pique her interest. Even when a baby is on the way that might be what it takes. When she sees how beautiful the baby quilt is you made her.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

I have always found the direct approach is best. Why don't you ask her if she would be interested in a BOM. Find out, and if she says no, just let her know that if and when she becomes interested and would like to learn, you will be there to teach her.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM

One either wants to sew, quilt or doesn't, I think you have done all you can at this point, perhaps sometime in the future it will be something she wants to do, until then dont risk being a pushy MIL!:)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I think the harder you push, the more she will push back. Just enjoy what you do and share when you can. If she has any inclination at all, she'll start asking questions and want to join in.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM

My DD wont even look at a machine but will do crafts. My Sis won't do anything crafty, Mother used to do a project everyonce in a while, if one of her crafty sisters came to town. Son does his own crafty things, jigs and such, if its connected with hunting or fishing he's all for it. But they all love to get something from me and show it off.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Everything has it's time. I only started quilting recently. I had other hobbies and didn't want to get into one more. I guess that's over now; but I am determined to just do one project at a time.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Do you make out a Christmas wish list? If so, put on the very top of the list your wish to make a quilt block with someone in your family. No need for that person to spend any money on you ... just an afternoon of their time. Two of my three grown kids have done this with me and I let them choose from several simple patterns and they got to choose their fabrics from my stash. I, too, made the same block but with different colors. We had so much fun! Just to note, it took a couple of years of this request on my Christmas list for them to realize how important it was to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 AM

as the old saying goes You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink The young don't have time to sit and sew its their time to be out living THEIR own lives at this point let her alone You have planted the seed now be patient wait to see if it takes root I can only pass on to you my own experience with my DIL - once the 1st baby came along We had lots of fun and enjoyed sewing together but only AFTER it was HER IDEA and even tho they are 700miles away now we still enjoy our phone sewing as she calls it The wait was well worth it We are the closest of friends not just in-laws
Old 05-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingdoe
Everything has it's time. I only started quilting recently. I had other hobbies and didn't want to get into one more. I guess that's over now; but I am determined to just do one project at a time.
Didn't we all say that at first????? We'll watch your posts with interest!!!!!! Any bets on how long before she tells us she has several UFO's?????? (Just teasing quiltingdoe!!)