Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a shoulder to cry on >

a shoulder to cry on

a shoulder to cry on

Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 PM

I'm so sorry. You may want to look at goodwill or thrift stores for another one.About 2 years ago my husband got me a machine at wal-mart, I really like it.This machine has some of the bells and whisles and it wasnt to pricey. At Christmas time they have a brother that only does straight stitch for around 50 to 60 dollars and a lady I know got one and loves it.That would be a better ideal than not sewing.This way you might be able to make some quilts and sale them to buy a better machine.Any way I do hope you get anpther machine>
Old 05-07-2011, 07:53 PM

HEY AGAIN MONA LISA. HAVE YOU LOOKED ON TODAYS BUY SELL OR TRADE BOARD. I was setting here and thinking of your broken machine and saw this ad a lady wanting to depart with a sewing machine she bought and never used. May be worth your time to check it out!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 PM

Hang in there. Presently i am using a 25 year old Brother
Buttonmatic sewing machine and it works great. There a plenty of cheap machines to be had out there if your not too fussy. I just saw one at goodwill for $10. Where there is a will there is a way.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011
I need some one to commiserate with me. My sewing machine just died! I took it to the repair shop for a free estimate, but you know what that means.
I sew on my machine everyday and now that last simple pleasure is taken away.
I must say it has been a good friend to me since 1984. It is a Singer and was one of the first electronic ones on the market. You know.... when the Singer name meant quality!
I have looked at "new" machines, but the ones that compare to mine are so expensive.
It looks like I will be hanging up my quilting. Getting old is not for the faint at heart!
Don't despair, I read almost every day on this board where someone has had a great deal with a yard sale or good will or whatever, and nabs a vintage singer that is still going strong for just a few dollars. A lot of these seem to be cheaper than your service would have been, had it been repairable. So keep a good eye out, and perhaps you will be back sewing sooner than you think.
True to that! I just bought Janome Serger, 4 thread, with differential feed for $ 25 today! I wish you just as good luck in your hunt.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM

I don't know where you are, but I'm sure I have a machine I could spare until you find just what you want. What state are you from? I'm in Iowa, NE part. Are you close???
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Like a lot of them said check Goodwill,Methedest Mountain Mission,maybe even a consignment store yardsale.Please don't give in so easy.You look real hard or post a add in a paper some one might be willing to sell you one that way.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

Mona Lisa -

Lots of good advice on this thread. I bought a very nice traded-in Pfaff 1475 for either $300 or $400 a few years ago. Since then I have found 4 vintage machines that are awesome performers for $80, $20, $15, and $45. The $20 was a Featherweight. Just keep an eye on thrift stores, Craigslist, the classifieds in your local paper, and estate and yard sales. Consider the adventure of the search.

I hope you enjoy the search and find a great machine.

Darren