Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you sit on? >

What do you sit on?

What do you sit on?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies. Its interesting to see what everyone uses. Lots of food for thought here! Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM

I bought my chair at the salvation army for $4.00. It is a nice desk chair and comfortable with rollers on it.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
my butt...

hahahaha! ;)
Thats what I wanted to say!!LOL :lol: but really I sit in a computer chair and adjust it often so I don't get stiff and sore.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 PM

If I were buying a new chair, I would get what they used to call a secretaries chair -- an office chair with no arms. They are adjustable, have wheels on the bottom and seem made for using a machine (typewriter?) they also encourage decent posture.
I think that may be my next investment.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM

I also have an exam room chair. Love it. Have always used a nice office chair, no arms but larger than I needed . I got the exam chair in January and I can sit for longer periods and it isn't in the way when I want to walk around can push it under the sewing table. Works great for me. It also goes higher than the office chair when I want to free motion quilt.

Suzy
Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM

I have used the diningroom table and chair, sewing table and also tried an office chair, but now use a folding utility table and my piano bench and seems to work the best. I think it's the piano bench because it's a little higher than any chair. I remember one of our sister quilters wrote in (picture included) showing how her DH made a platform for her sewing machine that slanted the sewing machine forward therefore she could sit straighter and see her work better when sewing. Hope this helps. :-)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Love your kitty also. I just use a computer chair with arms and that works real well.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by immemother
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what you sit on when at your sewing machine. My current chair is giving me some back ache (far to young for that :x ) and I am looking to go out and get a new one, but not too sure what sort I am going to look for.

Would love to know what other have used.

Thanks
Kirsty

My gluteus maximus.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

You might want to look for a "secretary" type chair that might offer additional lower back support. Make sure your feet rest on the floor and it you're like me I made a small stool - like foot rest to place my feet on.
Take your time, and be warned that a really good one will be expensive. But, it might be a case of spend now and prevent spending it on medical visits later.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 PM

If you decide on an adjustable office-style chair, be certain that it will raise to the height that you want. I have one that is so comfortable (don't know the name) but it doesn't go as high as I would like. I know that some do as I have used them at retreats and classes.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Depends on which machine I'm using. The new one (Anne) I use the stool that came with her. My Singer 9W has an antique desk chair, and my Janome has a more modern desk chair. I've been known to use a folding chair or kitchen chair with any of the others.