Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extreemely dry hands >

Extreemely dry hands

Extreemely dry hands

Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
UMmm This Guy uses Aqua Four, it can be pruchased from walmart. My doctor reccomended it to me due to the extreme dryness I had to deal with. now I use it just be for I start piecing and my hands feel great during and after.
Pardon me dear, that is Aquaphor. It pronounces the same as stewyscrewy spelled it though. :-)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
from sewing. Llive in a desert..NM...and wonder if you gals have any ideas what I should use to moisturize. Udder balm isn't working like it used to. Right now I'm sitting here with band aids on 6 fingertips cuz they crack and bleed. Oh so sore. I even have med exam (no latex) gloves that I use...slather up hands and put the gloves on for overnight. Only feels good for a couple hours when I take the gloves off in am. Guess I just have to quit sewing for a couple days to for them to heal.

Alergic to perfumes in most hand lotions/creams. I do know that creams have more emolionts that lotions. Can't wait for suggestions.
I have the same problem- Try washing your hands after sewing, and putting any good emollient on. You may be sensitive to sizing. That is what tears my hands up. If you wash all of your fabric before you sew, that may also help. Sizing sensitivity is why some of us must wash new clothes before wearing them. It does work real good for matching seams while ironing though. (damed if you do, damed if you don't) :thumbup: (pardon my language please)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM

When I have those nasty tender cracks on my fingers tips I use Super Glue to basically glue the edges together..I usually trim the hard edges off and wash well and dry then apply the glue..takes the extreme pain out overnight and fasiliates (sp, to lazy to use spell check) healing.
For a really great hand cream I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. You can buy the fragrance free. It's great and is not greasy. It's the best I've ever used. I buy it at Walmart but you can find anywhere.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
Zinc oxide cream or ointment. I can only find it here at Rite-Aid, next to the Neosporin. Heals just about anything for us, most of the time in 1-2 days.
I agree..."Zinc Oxide". It heals better and faster than anything I've ever tried. One time I found it in our local drug store with the baby products. Seems it works good
also for diaper rash.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM

I use a creme called "Genes Vitamin E Cream" It is a Swiss Collagen Compolex Moisturizing Creme, for sensitive skin. It was recommended by my doctor and I find it works extremely well. It's heavy, so I use it at night, not while I'm quilting. It can be found at Sams Club and comes in a yellow jar.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM

I never have this problem but my husband does every winter.
Finally found something that worked for him. I don't remember name but it is in a short round container (like snuff) and is found in the paint department at Lowes. I guess it is commonly used by painters. The container is green and has plaid on it (I think) and an Irish or Scottish name. Hope this is enough info to find it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Since you're in the desert, you definitely need moisture added to your environment. A humidifier will help, and the quick, simple, quiet, inexpensive version is a spray bottle of water. (I use distilled or filtered water to avoid leaving mineral deposits.) Just spritz it in the air all around the room, and you'll feel the difference immediately. Repeat often. If you have the room for a small fountain you could have the soothing sound as well as added humidity; again, using distilled or filtered water cuts down on mineral deposits, extending the useful life of the fountain.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM

I go to the Dollar Store and buy 1 container of Vitamin E, 1 container of vaseline and one container of baby lotion in the pink bottle.

I use the whole container of the Vitamin E and the baby lotion. I add about 1/2-3/4 of the vaseline into a mixer. Mix up good and fluffy and use. We really like this stuff. :)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR
I sometimes have to stop sewing for a couple days and let my hands heal. My neighbors laughed at me one time, I volunteered to make all the hamburger patties cause my hands were so dry at that time. After making a ton of patties I washed up with mild soap and my hands felt so good!
I remember years ago my dad used to get a piece of suet from the local meat market. He would rub it on his hands to heal the cracks and dry skin.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 PM

Would something like this work:
http://michiganloonyloomer.blogspot....nd-lotion.html