Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extreemely dry hands >

Extreemely dry hands

Extreemely dry hands

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM

i use creamy vasaline.. no smell, absorbs quickly.. i use it on my feet & hands and its cheap!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM

When I worked in Nursing Home (yrs back) we used Crisco for the patients that had extremely dry skin. You would have to use gloves when sewing. But its animal fat that works. Now I no thats mostly not fat. So there is plain Hog Lard.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM

Gold bond ultra healing, works real good for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM

You might try Aquafor -- it is a highly refined vasoline --no perfumes or added stuff. My dematologist had me start using it several months ago because of skin problems. Might be worth trying. It seems really greasy at first, but if you keep massaging your hands, pretty soon is soaks in and no longer feels greasy and your skin feel soft. I get Walmart's brand, it is about 1/2 the cost and is the same thing. In our Walmart they sit side by side and are in the cosmetic section.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM

I used castor oil from the drug store, it heals from the inside and placed on overnight with cotton gloves or socks the cracks heal quicker and are not so tender. Now using Tri-Medic foot cream (I am diabetic)found at grocery store, my heels have not cracked and when getting a pedi the young lady no longer has to use a callus scrub - they are super soft and I am wearing sandals again!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM

I use vinegar on my dry skin in the winter and when I'm sewing a lot. It helps to balance the ph lost in our bodies. My nephew had severe dry skin and he tried it and now his hands are much better. Soak your hands for 5 minutes and pat dry you'll feel the difference right away. I even put vinegar in my dish water when I have to wash my dishes. If you have cracked skin put pure vitamin E on them too at night time and use cotton gloves it's natural and no smell.....
Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
from sewing. Llive in a desert..NM...and wonder if you gals have any ideas what I should use to moisturize. Udder balm isn't working like it used to. Right now I'm sitting here with band aids on 6 fingertips cuz they crack and bleed. Oh so sore. I even have med exam (no latex) gloves that I use...slather up hands and put the gloves on for overnight. Only feels good for a couple hours when I take the gloves off in am. Guess I just have to quit sewing for a couple days to for them to heal.

Alergic to perfumes in most hand lotions/creams. I do know that creams have more emolionts that lotions. Can't wait for suggestions.

Julie, I also have severe cracking & bleeding fingers from living in the desert with very low to minus moisture in AZ. I use a Merino Lanolin Skin Cream, It's available online at merinousa.com or at 1-888-663-7466 I bought mine at a local weekly flea market from a distributor. When I have a cracked finger I apply liberal amounts and then place a finger cot on the effected fingers. To my amazement they heal within 2 days. I also use it at night before bed on my hands and feet which take a beating all year round with the low to minus humidity here. It keeps me quilting and I don't have to worry about bleeding on my fabrics with the finger cots, they are available at Walmart in the first aid section. Hope this helps...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
from sewing. Llive in a desert..NM...and wonder if you gals have any ideas what I should use to moisturize. Udder balm isn't working like it used to. Right now I'm sitting here with band aids on 6 fingertips cuz they crack and bleed. Oh so sore. I even have med exam (no latex) gloves that I use...slather up hands and put the gloves on for overnight. Only feels good for a couple hours when I take the gloves off in am. Guess I just have to quit sewing for a couple days to for them to heal.

Alergic to perfumes in most hand lotions/creams. I do know that creams have more emolionts that lotions. Can't wait for suggestions.
This will sound crazy and I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me. My heels cracked open and about the same time, I got a lot of fissures on my thumbs and index fingers. I decided to try athletes foot cream on the heels and within three days, not only were my heels much better, the fissures on my thumbs and fingers had begun to clear.

My hands are allergic to many lotions, so I can't tell you how surprised and pleased I was when I discovered by accident how to take care of the fissures. The cream also smoothed and strengthened my nails.

Won't cost much to try it and might be just the thing. Just be sure you check the active ingredients to be sure there isn't anything you know you are allergic to. froggyintexas
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Haven't read all of the posts but, I find that "Look Ma, New Hands" from Bath & Body Works heals up the cracks in my thumbs in 2 days. But you have 6 pages of suggestions. I am sure that you will find a product that works for you.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I like gloves in a bottle. Not greasy or sticky.You can get it in most quilt shops.