Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extreemely dry hands >

Extreemely dry hands

Extreemely dry hands

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM

I feel your pain! I use Penetone protective cream 311. It contains lanolin, skin conditioners and skin protectants. The company address is Penetone Corporation 700 Gotham Parkway, Carlstadt, NJ 07072. I buy it at a nearby ag store - it doesn't seem to be widely available. Well worth tracking down. Also, taking vit.E and fish oil daily helps me greatly. Hope you find relief soon. God bless.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

I have the same problem with my fingers cracking open and bleeding.
I got a bottle of good quality ZINK capsules from the health store and my fingers haven't cracked open for a couple of weeks now.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM

I have always used Neutrogena & they have an unscented & Sally Hansen cuticle cream- Apricot extract. I worked a in florist for 30 years & you talk about fingers cracking. My doctor told me to use super glue & pull the splits together & they will heal & the glue falls off a few days later. It really works good. Just don't glue your fingers together.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM

I second the St Ives . inexpensive and works really well.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

When I lived in the mountains of NC, the cold was hard on my friend's hands. She even resorted to using Super Glue to glue the cracks together until she started taking extra zinc supplements. Her hands healed right up. Maybe consider doing this. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM

Try a light coating of vaseline on your hands at night, put on a pair of lightweight gloves (or socks). After a couple of treatments you will have smooth hands. This works for feet, too. Also, the cost is minimal for vaseline.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Jam, I do have hand dermatitis. When I worked at elem school librarian...dust dust dust...I had to go to derm to get medicine...even put me on anitbiotics, too. Took a week off from work! He said w/my hobby and career...no way to cure but only manage. Told me to use hand CREAMS not lotions and worked for awhile.

Looked up Psoriasis and may have it. Itchy patches on legs started a month ago. Have to travel out of state in June so will go back to the doc when I retun and show him my hands AND legs. Making a consiioius (sp) effert today to drink more water and using more cream.

And yes knew about the super glue! I have a tube at home and at work. Helps the split but not the cause. I know when the skin splits cuze it hurts. Bummer.

Mom's wound nurse gave her "Once a Day Moisturizing Body Cream" by Coloplast that does wonders on her extreemly dry skin on her legs. I've started to use it too. First ingredient is glycerine!

Thanks againg to everyone who has responded. Didn't realize there were so many of us out there!
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Hi Julie! I lived in NM for years! I have the same problem and have had since I was a kid. At times, it seems to clear up on it's own, but only for a short time. I don't touch water unless I am bathing or washing my hands. All other times, I wear gloves. I have been visiting a dermatologist for years for other issues and she suggested an allergy test for chemicals. Come to find out the only one that I am allergic to is a specific formaldehyde....lo and behold, it is the formaldehyde that is on fabric when it gets shipped. I now wash all my fabric twice in hot water, and dry before I use it at all.

I do still suffer from dry cracked hands (the whole bandaid thing and all) but not as often and mainly when I am handling fabric that hasn't been washed yet....like in the LQS or when I am getting it ready to launder.

Good luck!
Where in NM are you at?

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
from sewing. Llive in a desert..NM...and wonder if you gals have any ideas what I should use to moisturize. Udder balm isn't working like it used to. Right now I'm sitting here with band aids on 6 fingertips cuz they crack and bleed. Oh so sore. I even have med exam (no latex) gloves that I use...slather up hands and put the gloves on for overnight. Only feels good for a couple hours when I take the gloves off in am. Guess I just have to quit sewing for a couple days to for them to heal.

Alergic to perfumes in most hand lotions/creams. I do know that creams have more emolionts that lotions. Can't wait for suggestions.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM

No matter what cream or lotion you use you have to make sure that you drink enough water.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Are you sure you are not allergic to the dye in fabric? Most fabric has formaldehyde in it which causes lots of problems.