Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Someone please come over and slap me >
  • Someone please come over and slap me

• Someone please come over and slap me

Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Honestly, sewing binding strips together isn't rocket science is it? So why did I just spend 3 hours sewing 5 ... FIVE simple strips together? That's only 4 seams!!
    I find that when I get like that it's time for a nap! Who cares ifwe're not 3 y.o. anymore ... we still need a recharge time for our brain!
    Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Well, DogHouseMom, I got my binding done just fine, even got it sewn on with nice mitered corners. Re-watched three different videos on how to join the binding for that hidden look and had to do it four times. I finally laid it down, pressed the dumb 45 degree angle in each piece, basted it together and making sure (twice) it was in the right place, finally sewed it correctly and trimmed off the excess. Whew! My eyesight and age are getting to me!! Today is the handwork of whipping that sucker down!! I guess our "guides" want to keep us humble so we still fit our pants.
    Thanks for sharing and God bless you and future projects.
    Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Honestly, sewing binding strips together isn't rocket science is it? So why did I just spend 3 hours sewing 5 ... FIVE simple strips together? That's only 4 seams!!

First one ... sewed in the opposite direct so when opened all I got was a V shape.

Resewed first one ... wonky. Rip.

Second one. Sewed it wonky, took it apart, and in the process flipped it around so that I had the seam on the right side of the fabric. Wouldn't have been so bad if I had noticed it BEFORE I trimmed it and sewed on the last strip.

Third seam ... I've managed to sew the tip of the other end of the strip under the seam!!!

So, what do you think I could have possibly done wrong with the last seam? What other rookie mistake could I have made? Anyone want to guess?

I'll give you one hint ... it's a batik so there is no right side of the fabric.
    Most of my days are like that. I'm beginning to think at the age of 56, maybe I'm too smart to be stupid but too stupid to be smart.
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 PM

This is why I don't use binding after a couple horrible experiences. My grandmother always used a self-binding by bringing the backing to the front, folding in the raw edge of the backing and sewing it down....and that's good enough for me!
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Yes, I've done these things too. What you did "wrong" is that you tried to sew on a non-sewing day. We never know when they will happen; they just do!
    Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM

when my day is going like that....i quit sewing or whatever..and get up ..play with my dogs, hosework,garden.etc..
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Been there,done that also. Devised this method. Cut as many 2 1/2 strips as I need, lay them side by side, right side down, except for the first strip. This one is right side up. On the remaining strips, measuring down 2 1/2" I draw a line, thus making a 2 1/2" square with a diagonal sewing line from upper left to lower right. Now I pin the second strip to the first strip, right side together and so on until all the strips are pinned together and sew. This may sound time consuming, but you should have seen my strips before I started doing this. They were all over the place,but never straight.
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 PM

We all have days like that! Made 2 candle mats, cut out the backing and batting and then realized I never put the borders on. Now the backing and batting are too small! That should earn a slap or two.
    Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Ohhhhh K, you had a really bad day....... lol
    Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM

I've had sewing days like that and it's almost scary. Made me wonder if dementia strikes in one day. You have my empathy, the good news is that tomorrow may be a perfect sewing day. ((((hugs)))))