Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Where were you when...9/11 memories >
  • Where were you when...9/11 memories

• Where were you when...9/11 memories

Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM

i was at work when one of the girls said a plane just hit the first tower and then when they heard the 2nd one hit and the others we all went downstairs to one of the dr's offices and they were showing it on tv again. i remenber thinking we're at war but with who. i'll never forget seeing those towers fall and then hearing about flight 93 going down and the bravery of the people on that flight. what an awful day and we live in fl. and used to drive by the airport where they learned to fly but not land and the apartments where they were living and no one ever knew. sue
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:20 PM

I was having coffee while my 4th grade students were at recess. The principal went from class to class telling us the news and that we could stop in the library for updates where the TV would be on all day. It was hard for the students to understand why anyone would do that. I guess it was hard for all of us to understand and is something we will never forget.
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 PM

I was working in my beauty shop, trying to hold myself together in front of a friend and customer and not let her see me crying over the loss of my daddy,(he passed away 9-11-2000), when my sister called.This lady was ready to leave, so I watched in dismay the rest of the day.
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
    Power Poster

i was home getting ready for work. my hubby called me in to see the television. i saw the second plane. called my office and told the girl there to turn the radio to the news and that i'd be in soon. I did go to work. had to. i couldn't watch anymore.
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 PM

I had just walked into my boss's office to go home sick when the live footage came on his tv. I was two months pregnant with my first son and very ill that day.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 PM

i was at work when i heard that a plane had flown into tower 1, where my husband worked on the 74th floor. he tried to outrun a cloud of debris that was following him and thinking that he would die. an arm grabbed him and pulled him into the lobby of a building and slammed that door shut and they waited it out until the dust and debris settled. while they waited they couldn't see a thing, but they could feel chunks hitting the glass and walls of the lobby. when the dust and debris settled they found a working phone and called their wives.

while i panicked and before i heard from him, i got a call from my son, who also worked in manhattan, telling me that he was going to look for his father. i yelled at him to go home as soon as possible because if i had lost his father i wasn't going to lose him, too. right after i got the call from my husband, manhattan lost all phone service.

my husband walked across manhattan to the ferry to staten island, where he was made to take a shower in his clothing to wash away the asbestos dust then made his way home to new jersey. when he got home well after dark, he was still stunned and wouldn't even talk about the things he had seen.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 PM

I was in Lex Ky at St Joes Hospital with my Dad for his knee replacement. Will never forget that day. My heart aches for all of the victims.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 PM

I was in Tulsa at a teacher's meeting, 180 miles from home... the meetings were cancelled and we headed for home the minute we could... I've never wanted to see and hug my family more than on that day...

Today we spent a lot of time remembering the sacrifice of so many...

I also read a post on FB that pointed out the New York Fire Dept. saved at least 20,000 people that day... amazing...
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM

I was sitting at my desk in the newspaper office when our publisher came by and said that a plane had just hit the World Trade Center. I didn't think too much about that, thought it was a terrible accident. But when he came back and told us about the second plane, I knew it was no accident. So sad.
    Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

I was a flight attendant working for United Airlines on a trip-