C-PAP anyone?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS View Post
My husband says use a minimum of an 8' hose. Most come with 6' but get the 8'. Don't let it go to the side. You can put a blanket or a towel down over the side if you have no headboard. The whole key is finding the right mask to make it successful. Even if that means going through 2 or 3 mask. The ones that have the pieces that go in your nose seem painful. Have tried those before but hurt! If that doesn't work in the end.....a 5th of gin and you'll never know anything! HA!! (all of this comes from my husband by the way-he uses the machine.)
you said that hubby tried several before finding the right one. did the insurance company pay for all of them or did you? i'm still using the first one he gave me because the others were even worse. i found a way to get the hose more comfortable by using the bedposts, but i don't know where to get the 8' ones anyway. where did he find them?
the techie told me to keep the c-pap on the night table and not on the floor. were you told the same thing? also, when it's time to change out the headgear and the filter and the mask do you need a Rx? then what do you do with it? this is a new doctor for me and he seems to have his own method of operation.

the 5th of gin only works if you hit the doctor with it. i wish my doctor would get his act together. i'm staying with him until i see my primary. is anyone using the mask liners?

angie, don't PM me. i'm not receiving any PMs even though i wiped my old ones out altogether. there should be plenty of space but i keep getting a 'no space' message. i'm getting the same message for you, btw. return messages here only. thanks. don't post any email addresses.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS View Post
For anyone wanting the info of the item I was talking about under the mask to keep you skin on your nose from breaking down it's called a Gecko. At our local store it is $15. The ones online are $24.95 http://www.respshop.com/advanced_sea...keywords=gecko Hope this helps anyone looking for this item.

Hugs,
Angie
what is it made of?

Angie, clear out your old PMs, both in and out. you can't receive until you do. i've been trying to reach you.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

I don't have to have an Rx for supplies. I also don't replace them as often as they recommend becuase of the portion I have to pay. I just replace the liner when it starts to leak air.

The machine should probably not be on the floor, but I had to put mine there. In my sleep I pulled my second machine off of the nightstand and the water ruined the motor, so it had to be replaced with a new machine. Thankfully, I did not have to pay again. It took me a year to pay my portion of the machine. I learned my lesson and I put it on the floor.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing View Post
what is it made of?

Angie, clear out your old PMs, both in and out. you can't receive until you do. i've been trying to reach you.
This is what the information says:
The protective polymer gel pad is hypoallergenic, latex and silicone fee and with proper care can be used multiple times.)

I think it is probably supposed to say latex and silicone free instead of fee.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 AM

Smile

I, too, have been using a c-pap for years. The head gear can be used a long time. They recommend and insurance pays to replace it every 3 months. I use mine much longer. The machine needs to be lower than the bed, but not on the floor. If it needs to be on the floor put a cutting board or something under it, cuz it is pulling air from the room and filtering it and blowing it out the hose, into your nose/mouth. Be sure to keep the filter clean. (At least that is how mine is made.) It takes a bit to get comfortable with them. The first night I had mine off in about an hour. The second night I was able to keep using it all night and I haven't been without it since. I have three of them. One for travel, one in the living room by my easy chair (in case I want to nap) and one at the bedside. I've found them at garage sales and then take them to my medical supply person who sets them to the Dr.s Rx. The medical supply people are very helpful in getting the right supplys for you to use. You can try many styles until you find the right one. Just keep exchanging them until you find the right fit. I know this because part of my job is cleaning the ones brought back so they can be reused. Once the right fit is found they give you brand new ones and charge the insurance.
Please don't give up and those of us who use them all the time can give you tips. I, in fact, didn't know about the sleeve for the hose!! Thank you!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM

If you have one please please please use it. A young man in our church died this week. Got up during the night took it off and didn't put it back on and died during the night. So no matter how much you don't like using it or your loved one doesn't like using it please do so. Didn't realize how deadly not using it would be. Take care
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM

I think my husband's c-pap just saved his life. He was feeling sick so was taking a nap while I was at work. He put the c-pap on and later called me to say that he thought he was having a heart attack. When the ambulance came they couldn't find his pulse/blood pressure. It was touch and go there for awhile. We think the c-pap (with supplemental oxygen cranked up on high) kept him going until the paramedics could get an iv going with meds. Turned out his gall bladder had gone bad and he ended up with sepsis. That is infection in the blood and it can kill you very, very fast. That was a month ago and he is doing pretty well now. Still recovering, but much improved.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:02 PM

I have had a c-pap for 5 yrs. I am lucky I have a bed with a center shelf, and 2 others on each side.
I put it in the middle shelf. I also put the hose from machine not tucked under but along back of pillow and back board
shelf. Then it is out of husband's way. I have a tube and nose plug, and also have a tube and nose cup.
It is not bad, I like I have had a night's sleep and not so tired.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter View Post
Does anyone have a C-PAP machine?

Last night was my first night on one and it was challenging to say the least. I didn't have any trouble at the sleep lab, but at home, the hose rubbed against the board at the side of the bed and made a zipping sound and I managed to knock the whole unit off of the night stand at about 2 in the morning. I gave up after that and will give it another go tonight.

Any advice from anyone who has worked this all out would be appreciated
My husband and I both sleep with a C-Pap machine. I fixed the "zipping" sound by making a sleeve out of flannel for the hoses. I made a casing with elastic for both ends. It has really cut down on the noise. The sleeves also keep the hoses from making so much condensation from the humidifier on our machines. Now we don't get a "snoot full" of water up our noses. The C-Pap does take some getting used to, but it is well worth it. I hope it doesn't take you long to adjust.