Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With UGLY Fabric? >

What Do You Do With UGLY Fabric?

What Do You Do With UGLY Fabric?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Robin Lynn
make a rug.
Great Idea, I make rag rugs ,while fat qtrs wouldn't go far they can add to the collection of strips.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM

I got an email from them saying that my order was canceled because they were out of the FQ's.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Scrape quilt or string quilt - something with small pieces in the blocks.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Just as I use to sometimes get ugly paper for papercrafting I repurposed it and would fabric as well by painting over it and creating a new design. You can do the same with ugly fabric. You can use fabric paint and design something new out of it.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Use them along with other fabrics in a scrap quilt. No one fabric stands out as ugly because the eye has so many places to look.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 PM

I bought 3 of the packs and probably like about 5 of the fat quarters. I don't think the rest are necessarily ugly, just not fabrics I would choose. I added them to my stash and will do some kind of a scrappy quilt with them. I've actually already used two of the fat quarters in a fall table runner that I put together on Sunday. Just have to put the binding on and hopefully that will be done tomorrow.

That being said, at least I received my order from Whittles. I also ordered 80 fat quarters from quiltersparadise.online and kept checking the mail and kept checking the mail and no sign of them. When I saw their message on their site last night that they are now officially closed, I emailed them and got a response back today that my order was canceled. No notification or anything, so now I get to wait to see if they put through the charge on my credit card. Should have known better. :(
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM

This is my "ugly quilt." A few years ago, my guild had a challenge. We each brought a yard of "ugly fabric", and then the fabrics were torn into small pieces and passed out. This is the quilt I made with all the "ugly fabrics."
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263709.jpe  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
You could work them into scrap quilts. Before you know it they will be used up. Maybe they are only ugly to you...folks like different things...make them into a quilt for donation. Somebody may think it's the prettiest thing ever. :)
I agree. I have told the story before of delivering quilts for donation and one was browns and purples. I thought it was ugly, but a little boy about five or six years old ran up, grabbed the quilt and claimed it as his. He kept saying, "A peanut butter and jelly quilt". He was so excited! I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ha!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM

How about sorting them into color groups: reds, blues, etc. or plaids, stripes, etc. With only 20, you probably would have to add some of your other fabrics. I'd make at least two small scrap quilts. --Cassie
Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary
The smaller you cut them the better they look!

I would not try to use them in one quilt but would use them as I went along. Or use them for trial blocks. Or trying a new quilting pattern. Or sell them or trade them.
i'm working on the omigosh quilt... there's nothing so ugly that you can't use it in that... the finished size on each of the individual pcs of the double 9 patchs is 1/2 inch... i've got some real uglies in there... but they look good together in that