Does it bother you?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM

I was talking to a guy in TX- I am in PA. He said- you're not originally from PA are you? I said yes, my whole life. He said I didn't have an accent. Huh? He meant I finished my words (so what if people drop a few letters- firt (first), couple two tree (a few), crick not creek. I was laughing so hard when we finished. Guess my book learnin' came in handy. And the accent- they say we garble our words- run them together. I don't know about that, but they say we have a "coal mining accent" even thought there hasn't been mining here since the 60s.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM

I WOULD tell y'all, but I'm too busy fixin' sammiches for the Rebs here so we can continue our 150-year old fighting... :lol:
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Hey, you should try living in Ontario, Canada. As soon as people cross the border, they expect to see snow. Do they not watch the news? We have much the same weather as most of the central U.S.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM

I moved from San Diego to Missouri.. I had so many people tell me that we would be unhappy here because there are all "those" people here.. What was that?? Those people.. These are the kindess, sweetest people, they are honest, hard working, willing to help out no matter who you are.. accepting and tolorant.. They have oppinions, but don't insist you share theirs.. and they are still willing to allow you to have your own ideas and not have theirs.. I've been here 22 years and will probably stay the rest of my life... Yep, we're not the big city, and so who cares?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

It's a challenge to pronounce place names like the natives do - especially when the pronunciation has very little to do with the way the name is spelled!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Where we are in the country some people expect we all have old cars setting on blocks in the front yard and it full of tall weeds. Beer bottles for decoration an' purty near ever'body in trailer parks an' goin' barefoot 'lessn we gotta go t' town, then we wear our only pair o' shoes, good ol' flip flops.

Doesn't bother me at all, usually people that are way off base are like that in other areas of their lives too. Sad.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by nena
I lived and worked in Ohio for 12 years. One of the girls in my office was always coming to my desk and telling me jokes about WV . One day she said you don't get mad me telling you these jokes do you? I said NO, I just tell them to other people but use Ohio instead of WV. Never heard another joke.
And we wear shoes, marry someone who is not a cousin, and are a separate state from Virginia, LOL!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Just another North Dakotan here, and it is always just so hilarious to hear stories that come from another regional area, have such bad info about the midwest. I just laugh it off, because I am guessing that I don't know a lot about the east coast states. All in the process of growing and learning. Just would not give up living in North Dakota.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
I grew up in Chicago & went to college in Iowa. Many people made comments about "all the gangsters & Al Capone" there. Had I ever met them? This was in 1959. C'mon people.
Al Capone also laundered his money about 20 miles from here.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM

I once told a new friend in Texas, l that I was from Oregon, and she replied, Aren't you afraid of all those Indians???? She was originally from a part of New York city called "Little Italy". A coworker in Texas always called me 'yankee', I finally asked her why, and she replied that Oregon is a Yankee state. Didn't we win a war to end that kind of thinking????? (For the record, my family at that time, was in Kentucky, and Texas, so I guess I am a 'turncoat"????) :lol: