Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE?

This is the second time I won a pattern on Ebay only to find it's pages torn out of a magazine. Even the templates were cut from a page. None of it is even copies. Just torn out pages. I'm having a real prob. with this & wonder if it is legal or bothers anybody else. Or am I just missing something?
    I did email the grp. at Better Homes & Gardens that puts out this magazine. I'm curious to see if I even hear back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think it's legal for a person to do that.
    I'm curious too to see what they say

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I don't think it's legal for a person to do that.
    I'm curious too to see what they say
    I'll let you know if I hear from anybody

Blog Entries
    If this happened to me, I'd feel cheated. On the other hand, I have about 10 years worth of quilt mags, perhaps I should start tearing them apart!

I don't think you can sell something like that, but giving it is probably OK. Legal or not, I feel it is unethical and I would also feel cheated.

Yes it also bothered me. I have won patterns and they were pages torn out of magazines. Please post updates if you hear from Better Homes & Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    If this happened to me, I'd feel cheated. On the other hand, I have about 10 years worth of quilt mags, perhaps I should start tearing them apart!
    I'm not feeling cheated as such but it just smacks of something wrong. If I can get an explanation from the source that it's ok, then I'll be happy to let it go.

I'm just reading in another thread about "carping" & being negative. (I remember the msg they're referring to & felt bad about it at the time) I sure hope my comment doesn't sound like that since I'm just trying to find out if this is legal. If not, I will sure question a seller in the future as to her/his source of patterns.

I have so much faith in this grp. that I knew we would all rise above any negativity.

I have gotten crochet patterns like that. Most of them were from very old magazines. I think that may not be against the law. I am not sure.

I often sell on e-bay. If it wasn't against the law I might take my crocheting and quilting magazines apart and keep what I like and sell the rest. But I feel like it is/should be agaist the law so I wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Retta
    I have gotten crochet patterns like that. Most of them were from very old magazines. I think that may not be against the law. I am not sure.

I often sell on e-bay. If it wasn't against the law I might take my crocheting and quilting magazines apart and keep what I like and sell the rest. But I feel like it is/should be agaist the law so I wouldn't do it.
    I, too, have lots of quilting, crochet, & counted cross stitch bks. & yarn to get rid of but I'd rather just GIVE them away to somebody in this grp. I've already taken lots to thrift stores but in the future, I'll offer them up free here.

If they're the original patterns from the mags. it's legal, but if they're copies of the patterns that would be against copywrite law. But, I don't understand why someone wouldn't just sell the whole magazine, rather than tear it up.

Pat G. did not buy them, she 'won' them, but I wonder how eBay would feel about knowing that sort of thing was going on. I think it's pretty tacky. Hope it's not just a way to get your information. Be careful. Another good reason to let eBay know.

This is not the same as just complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Pat G. did not buy them, she 'won' them, but I wonder how eBay would feel about knowing that sort of thing was going on. I think it's pretty tacky. Hope it's not just a way to get your information. Be careful. Another good reason to let eBay know.

This is not the same as just complaining.
    While I did "win" it, I still paid for it. Not quite the same in my mind. Good idea about questioning Ebay though & let them investigate it. I may try that if I don't hear back from BH&G. I had a hard time finding an email address for "Help" or "Contact us". Hard to tell how many offices it may go thru. If at all.

I think something like this...asking a question like this is ok.
    I, myself, don't see anything wrong with it. I'm sure someone on the board knows the "LEGALESE" to this. We have alot of very smart people here.
    I just bet that someone will come in with the correct answer.

I think there's a rule that you can't monetarily benefit from the distribution of the pattern. Some patterns say they can only be used by the person that purchased, no? How it relates to the magazine, I have no idea...

Oh, I thought you "won" a contest. In that case, I definitely applaud you for questioning the legality and integrity of this practice and I'm sure eBay will be happy to know. If you don't hear back, I live down the street from Ebay HQ, and know a couple of people I could ask.

Not sure about the legality of it. But if they did not state in in the auction that it was ripped from a magazine then you have a right to file a " not as described" thing against the seller.

I just asked a seller if it was legal so maybe others will see the note and not buy try reporting to ebay.

I have over 10 years of Mag I have through about making the copies of the quilts I would like to do and then give the Mag away

Blog Entries
    It's legal. They are selling the actual, original pages from the magazine, not xeroxed or scanned copies.

And if they sell separate patterns from the magazines, they can make back many times their cost of the magazine, or it could even all be pure profit if they got the magazines free or for scant money.

This has been going on in, as was posted, crochet and knitting, on ebay, for many years now.
    Ebay is well aware of it.

I know a lady who financed her daughter's wedding 7 years ago with sales on ebay of pattern pages from new as well as old crochet magazines and booklets.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Oh, I thought you "won" a contest. In that case, I definitely applaud you for questioning the legality and integrity of this practice and I'm sure eBay will be happy to know. If you don't hear back, I live down the street from Ebay HQ, and know a couple of people I could ask.
    Thanks, Sharon. I'll keep that in mind. I imagine Ebay would know the answer but I'll have to wait for responses from each step. I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one that this doesn't feel right to.

Blog Entries
    Actually it's legal to give away or sell a pattern only on the condition that we do not keep a copy. The copy is what is illegal.

But I agree it would be nice not to have to store full books and magazines just to keep copies of a few patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    It's legal. They are selling the actual, original pages from the magazine, not xeroxed or scanned copies.

And if they sell separate patterns from the magazines, they can make back many times their cost of the magazine, or it could even all be pure profit if they got the magazines free or for scant money.

This has been going on in, as was posted, crochet and knitting, on ebay, for many years now.
    Ebay is well aware of it.

I know a lady who financed her daughter's wedding 7 years ago with sales on ebay of pattern pages from new as well as old crochet magazines and booklets.

Good grief, no kidding. Maybe if we find out it's all legal, we may all be onto something. LOL.

Actually it's legal to give away or sell a pattern only on the condition that we do not keep a copy. The copy is what is illegal.

But I agree it would be nice not to have to store full books and magazines just to keep copies of a few patterns.

This is what I do. Just copy what I want & take the rest to thrift stores. That's why I now say I will offer my bks. free to people in this grp. just for the cost of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G

This is what I do. Just copy what I want & take the rest to thrift stores. That's why I now say I will offer my bks. free t
    o people in this grp. just for the cost of shipping.
    Sorry, but the "copying" part is what makes it against the law. If you plan on doing this, whatever, but I don't recommend you broadcast it on a public forum. Eyes are everywhere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    I'm just reading in another thread about "carping" & being negative. (I remember the msg they're referring to & felt bad about it at the time) I sure hope my comment doesn't sound like that since I'm just trying to find out if this is legal. If not, I will sure question a seller in the future as to her/his source of patterns.

I have so much faith in this grp. that I knew we would all rise above any negativity.
    this is not a rant. not even close. you've asked an important question. you presented it without flipping out and throwing a fit. even better ... everybody who's responded has been helpful and constructive. no drama, no flames. makes a moderator proud. :thumbup:

i feel as most others do. whether or not it's legal, it's definitely tacky becaus she wasn't open and honest about what she was selling. in your case, i would include the "not as presented" as part of the feedback.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast