Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE?

E-bay has a method to grade sellers--------------make sure you add your two cents worth.

Personally, I'm shocked------that is low.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    This is what I do. Just copy what I want & take the rest to thrift stores. That's why I now say I will offer my bks. free t
    o people in this grp. just for the cost of shipping.
    Sorry, but the "copying" part is what makes it against the law. If you plan on doing this, whatever, but I don't recommend you broadcast it on a public forum. Eyes are everywhere.
    i must agree. please make sure you have not kept copies of anything you sell or give away through the board. a better - but equally generous - option would be to donate your books to the local library. then you could "visit" them if you need to refer to them again later.

I bought a couple magazine ripout patterns but it was clearly stated in the description (on ebay) I had never seen the patterns because I don't own every magazine in the history of quilt magazines (well most of them lol) and I didn't think about the legality. Good question...now we know.

Blog Entries
    I don't think that selling patterns out of a magazine would violate the law anymore than the reselling of any other pattern.

However, I do think it would be presumed that you would be buying an "actual" packaged pattern unless it is stated otherwise in the items description.

I can understand your frustration, as well as your questioning this deceptive sale.

Blog Entries
    I've bought patterns this way through ebay. The ones I received were "packaged" in clear sheet protectors and I paid a minimal amount. Maybe $1. I like buying this way. I have way too many quilt magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I've bought patterns this way through ebay. The ones I received were "packaged" in clear sheet protectors and I paid a minimal amount. Maybe $1. I like buying this way. I have way too many quilt magazines.
    Ditto! Sometimes a magazine has several patterns that I am not interested in and will never use. eBay has had these listings for quite awhile. As long as the seller makes it clear that you are getting the original pages from a magazine, I see no harm in it.

As Long as the person isnot making more than she paid for it I think it is ok. As long as you got everything to the pattern... You wanted the pattern or you wouldn't of bid on it. It didn't say or no pictures of what it was?

You can sell your book and mags here and in a garage sale and it was not copyed and made moneys that way. They just sold the pattern.... You have posted a good question though, hope we see a responce... I love the pater by the way....
    ConnieF

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    If they're the original patterns from the mags. it's legal, but if they're copies of the patterns that would be against copywrite law. But, I don't understand why someone wouldn't just sell the whole magazine, rather than tear it up.
    Probably because they can get more cash for it bhy selling articles separately. I would guess the magazine company would not be happy about it as they would normally wish to sell back copies. This way they are losing money. Not sure if legal or not though.

I always cringe when I see patterns listed as being torn out of magazines... I understand why they do it - since they can make a lot more money that way but I still cringe at the actual act of cutting apart a book or magazine! I know that's silly but I can hear the little pages screaming in agony as the unattached seller just exacto knives them apart lol.

I think I accidentally sold a magazine last year that I meant to keep - I can't find it and it's driving me NUTS! I'm tempted to rebuy it on Ebay but I know I'll find it afterwards lol. I really need to finish cleaning out my craft room *sigh* I only want 2 patterns out of it if I remember right - the paper pieced wreath and the snowman quilt - but I would not buy those patterns separately just because I like my things whole lol.

Uhmmmmmm......after reading all the responses here I have come up with this:

Many people would prefer only the patterns they want and not an entire magazine....so maybe this is where this tearing out of patterns came from. So what if the seller makes a bit more money this way. They are filling a need for certain customers.

Many people would prefer the entire magazine. So look for an entire magazine and your need will be met.

There are options for everyone and their particular desire. I believe that if they are sending the original pattern from the magazine and not a copy then they are withing the law in doing so. As said before it is the copying that takes one into those murky waters and illegal activity.

I would be disappointed if I received a pattern from a magazine, however, if it's legal to resell magazines, wouldn't it be legal to resell the pages as well?

I had noticed (a while back) that someone had been copying patterns from magazines and selling them on ebay. I had contacted ebay and the original magazine and neither one was upset about it. With all the copywrite commotion going around I was really surprised to hear that it didn't bother either of them!

Winning on ebay just means that you had the winning bid since it's an auction. While I'm not sure it's illegal, it's certainly unethical to do. I'd leave some comments on their feedback about just how tacky this practice is. Unless it was clearly stated in their ad that this pattern had been taken from a magazine then it's more "buyer beware"

I paid $18. for a patttern once, I had to order it. When I finally got it, it was just a photo copy. This was from a shop. I was furious, the pictures were so blurry, I went back and demanded to see the manager She said there was no way that would have been the case. I went back again armed with my camera and took photos of the quilt close up, each section, so I could see how to do it. Emailed the person who wrote the pattern but never heard back.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I wonder how the auction was worded and photographed. Still seems wrong to me though. But if the person auctioning it mislead you then you can get your money back from Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I wonder how the auction was worded and photographed. Still seems wrong to me though. But if the person auctioning it mislead you then you can get your money back from Ebay.

I too think this is very important. One does have to read and understand what exactly the auction is for.....many people don't throughly read the entire description before they get in on an auction. That is the buyers responsibility to do. If you have questions or are not sure about the item/items being auctioned one should be ask the seller prior to bidding...that again is the buyers responsibility. Use only the Ebay messaging system to do this and not personal email thus providing Ebay with an accurate account of what transpired with the buyer & seller. If my memory serves me correctly Ebay will not use personal email messages as they can be changed, some omitted to serve the purpose of whomever has a problem.

I just feel there is no violation here as the needs of a diverse people are being met without fault to anyone.

Blog Entries
    I have stopped buying from Ebay, because I got burned a couple of times. Will not chance the 3rd time.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Ebay is a great marketplace but you have to read everything as
    quiltmaker states. They have gotten a lot stricter with bad sellers. I also check feedback before I bid on or buy anything. I read it carefully as well b/c sometimes new buyers or just plain nasty people can hurt a good sellers score. READ READ READ :D

Blog Entries
    I have gotten 6 or 7 patterns (pages torn from magazine) on e-bay. I also got 1 pattern (copied from the pages of a magazine). I don't think that should be legal. If you are getting the pattern from a magazine you should get the actual pages. Don't want to think of how many "copies" she made of the actual pages. Say, you could make a lot of money doing that.

Lynn

I agree. If they were the actual pages and not a copy I believe it is legal. If they copied them, that may violate copyright laws.

I think the seller should have told you what is was first though, even if it is legal.

Blog Entries
    Legal or not...I would still feel cheated. I think it is a slip shod way to make money. Look at the way they cut them out..they represented them in a dishonest manner. Why not just sell the whole magazine. When I was in business...I never ever did things like that. My business was important to me and how it was represented. I would complain to Ebay and to the seller.
    Best of luck with this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I think there's a rule that you can't monetarily benefit from the distribution of the pattern. Some patterns say they can only be used by the person that purchased, no? How it relates to the magazine, I have no idea...
    your right on...

Out of extreme curosity I went on Ebay and put in "Quilt Patterns" and there are many. There are "Top Ebay Sellers" that write in their descriptions that these patterns are out of magazines, etc., etc. It's easy enough for anyone of us to go look, see & check for ourselves.

Many of these people have been selling on Ebay for years and have been selling patterns from magazines....have exceptional feedback and very satisfyied customers. I cannot imagine them selling for over 10 years and not knowing what they are doing. If it were illegal I doubt very seriously that they would be doing it all these years. The vast majority of Ebay sellers are very reputable and do not want to have any controversy whatsoever to diminish their good name. After all that is how they became "Top Sellers" in the first place. They are caring sellers who have a business and want to take care of their customers. I personally didn't find anything offensive about the way the pattern was as carefully as possibly pulled from the magazine (we all know how hard that might be) nor the way the templates were cut from the page. I imagine that was they only way to do it without sending a part of the magazine that did not pertain to the quilt pattern.

It's up to each individual to decide if they want to purchase a product or not and because one might choose to purchase singular pattern/patterns out of convenience for themselves does not make it wrong.

By the way I am NOT an Ebay seller but a person who has purchased many, many things off of Ebay and only had one bad experience many years ago.

Power Poster
    It depends -

The first thing I would do would be to go back and read the auction description.

If the auction description was accurate - and I didn't catch that it stated that it was pages from a magazine - I would be mad at myself.

If the auction description did not say that the pattern was pages from a magazine, then I would be upset at the seller.

Sometimes the description is "accurate" - but my mind was "seeing it" as better than it actually was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast