Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE? >

DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE?

DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I've bought patterns this way through ebay. The ones I received were "packaged" in clear sheet protectors and I paid a minimal amount. Maybe $1. I like buying this way. I have way too many quilt magazines.
Ditto! Sometimes a magazine has several patterns that I am not interested in and will never use. eBay has had these listings for quite awhile. As long as the seller makes it clear that you are getting the original pages from a magazine, I see no harm in it.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 AM

As Long as the person isnot making more than she paid for it I think it is ok. As long as you got everything to the pattern... You wanted the pattern or you wouldn't of bid on it. It didn't say or no pictures of what it was?

You can sell your book and mags here and in a garage sale and it was not copyed and made moneys that way. They just sold the pattern.... You have posted a good question though, hope we see a responce... I love the pater by the way....
ConnieF
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
If they're the original patterns from the mags. it's legal, but if they're copies of the patterns that would be against copywrite law. But, I don't understand why someone wouldn't just sell the whole magazine, rather than tear it up.
Probably because they can get more cash for it bhy selling articles separately. I would guess the magazine company would not be happy about it as they would normally wish to sell back copies. This way they are losing money. Not sure if legal or not though.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 AM

I always cringe when I see patterns listed as being torn out of magazines... I understand why they do it - since they can make a lot more money that way but I still cringe at the actual act of cutting apart a book or magazine! I know that's silly but I can hear the little pages screaming in agony as the unattached seller just exacto knives them apart lol.

I think I accidentally sold a magazine last year that I meant to keep - I can't find it and it's driving me NUTS! I'm tempted to rebuy it on Ebay but I know I'll find it afterwards lol. I really need to finish cleaning out my craft room *sigh* I only want 2 patterns out of it if I remember right - the paper pieced wreath and the snowman quilt - but I would not buy those patterns separately just because I like my things whole lol.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Uhmmmmmm......after reading all the responses here I have come up with this:

Many people would prefer only the patterns they want and not an entire magazine....so maybe this is where this tearing out of patterns came from. So what if the seller makes a bit more money this way. They are filling a need for certain customers.

Many people would prefer the entire magazine. So look for an entire magazine and your need will be met.

There are options for everyone and their particular desire. I believe that if they are sending the original pattern from the magazine and not a copy then they are withing the law in doing so. As said before it is the copying that takes one into those murky waters and illegal activity.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:39 AM

I would be disappointed if I received a pattern from a magazine, however, if it's legal to resell magazines, wouldn't it be legal to resell the pages as well?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:40 AM

I had noticed (a while back) that someone had been copying patterns from magazines and selling them on ebay. I had contacted ebay and the original magazine and neither one was upset about it. With all the copywrite commotion going around I was really surprised to hear that it didn't bother either of them!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 AM

Winning on ebay just means that you had the winning bid since it's an auction. While I'm not sure it's illegal, it's certainly unethical to do. I'd leave some comments on their feedback about just how tacky this practice is. Unless it was clearly stated in their ad that this pattern had been taken from a magazine then it's more "buyer beware"
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 AM

I paid $18. for a patttern once, I had to order it. When I finally got it, it was just a photo copy. This was from a shop. I was furious, the pictures were so blurry, I went back and demanded to see the manager She said there was no way that would have been the case. I went back again armed with my camera and took photos of the quilt close up, each section, so I could see how to do it. Emailed the person who wrote the pattern but never heard back.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I wonder how the auction was worded and photographed. Still seems wrong to me though. But if the person auctioning it mislead you then you can get your money back from Ebay.