Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE? >

DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE?

DOES THIS BOTHER ANYBODY ELSE?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I wonder how the auction was worded and photographed. Still seems wrong to me though. But if the person auctioning it mislead you then you can get your money back from Ebay.

I too think this is very important. One does have to read and understand what exactly the auction is for.....many people don't throughly read the entire description before they get in on an auction. That is the buyers responsibility to do. If you have questions or are not sure about the item/items being auctioned one should be ask the seller prior to bidding...that again is the buyers responsibility. Use only the Ebay messaging system to do this and not personal email thus providing Ebay with an accurate account of what transpired with the buyer & seller. If my memory serves me correctly Ebay will not use personal email messages as they can be changed, some omitted to serve the purpose of whomever has a problem.

I just feel there is no violation here as the needs of a diverse people are being met without fault to anyone.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 AM

I have stopped buying from Ebay, because I got burned a couple of times. Will not chance the 3rd time.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Ebay is a great marketplace but you have to read everything as
quiltmaker states. They have gotten a lot stricter with bad sellers. I also check feedback before I bid on or buy anything. I read it carefully as well b/c sometimes new buyers or just plain nasty people can hurt a good sellers score. READ READ READ :D
Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 AM

I have gotten 6 or 7 patterns (pages torn from magazine) on e-bay. I also got 1 pattern (copied from the pages of a magazine). I don't think that should be legal. If you are getting the pattern from a magazine you should get the actual pages. Don't want to think of how many "copies" she made of the actual pages. Say, you could make a lot of money doing that.

Lynn
Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 AM

I agree. If they were the actual pages and not a copy I believe it is legal. If they copied them, that may violate copyright laws.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I think the seller should have told you what is was first though, even if it is legal.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Legal or not...I would still feel cheated. I think it is a slip shod way to make money. Look at the way they cut them out..they represented them in a dishonest manner. Why not just sell the whole magazine. When I was in business...I never ever did things like that. My business was important to me and how it was represented. I would complain to Ebay and to the seller.
Best of luck with this one.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I think there's a rule that you can't monetarily benefit from the distribution of the pattern. Some patterns say they can only be used by the person that purchased, no? How it relates to the magazine, I have no idea...
your right on...
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Out of extreme curosity I went on Ebay and put in "Quilt Patterns" and there are many. There are "Top Ebay Sellers" that write in their descriptions that these patterns are out of magazines, etc., etc. It's easy enough for anyone of us to go look, see & check for ourselves.

Many of these people have been selling on Ebay for years and have been selling patterns from magazines....have exceptional feedback and very satisfyied customers. I cannot imagine them selling for over 10 years and not knowing what they are doing. If it were illegal I doubt very seriously that they would be doing it all these years. The vast majority of Ebay sellers are very reputable and do not want to have any controversy whatsoever to diminish their good name. After all that is how they became "Top Sellers" in the first place. They are caring sellers who have a business and want to take care of their customers. I personally didn't find anything offensive about the way the pattern was as carefully as possibly pulled from the magazine (we all know how hard that might be) nor the way the templates were cut from the page. I imagine that was they only way to do it without sending a part of the magazine that did not pertain to the quilt pattern.

It's up to each individual to decide if they want to purchase a product or not and because one might choose to purchase singular pattern/patterns out of convenience for themselves does not make it wrong.

By the way I am NOT an Ebay seller but a person who has purchased many, many things off of Ebay and only had one bad experience many years ago.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

It depends -

The first thing I would do would be to go back and read the auction description.

If the auction description was accurate - and I didn't catch that it stated that it was pages from a magazine - I would be mad at myself.

If the auction description did not say that the pattern was pages from a magazine, then I would be upset at the seller.

Sometimes the description is "accurate" - but my mind was "seeing it" as better than it actually was.