Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM
QM
Power Poster

I would have to agree about a sewing machine. My Bernina, on which the motor died after 3 years, was a terrible waste of money. I would say the same, to a much lesser extent, of the mini iron, the small "handy" iron and the device to assist with HSTs. Generally, I don't buy gadgets, being rather suspicious of them and having limited space. Before my ^&$^%%#@@ Bernina died, its bobbin winder stopped working. The separate bobbin winder I got was great, but no longer needed, so I went to a friend.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 AM

Ditto on the thimbles. Good thing they are cheap!!!

My DD is getting me one from someplace that makes custom leather thimbles. Whatever won't fall off my fat little paws. My DD weighs in at 90 LB and neither of us can fit my mother's engagement ring on our fingers.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:35 AM

I don't buy many gadgets. The clover mini-iron waster of money, bias tape maker, some blue cutting mat with a cloudy 3 inch ruler. Ah, but I did find a use for the WM sewing machine DD passed on to me. It winds bobbins for my lovely, loved, greatest gift in the world, 1941 Singer 15. Thanks for this thread. I won't feel guilty about passing up the gadgets.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
When you get you rotating mat there is a black "protector" on the back. Remove that and it will turn easily. I do put the "protector" back on when I store the mat. I use mine for cutting small pieces as it does "sag" toward the outer edges so you will want to stay in the middle.
Hello Sunnie ~
Thank-you so much for telling me about the 'protector' and pointing out the best area to utilize the mat. I so appreciate your time in reply!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I can use the bobbin winder with most of my bobbins, however not with my Viking bobbins, the thingy that the bobbin goes on is too big for the Viking bobbins. So that was a waste of money for me. It doesn't really wind bobbins evenly for any of my various bobbins, my machines aren't happy with poorly wound bobbins.
Well Purplefriend....This makes the Bobbin Winder out for me as my machine is a Husquvarna Viking and as I stated in an earlier post I was considering the Sidewinder. Someone had with a post on another thread, said she was told when she had her machine serviced, that winding bobbins on your machine is very hard on the motor???? Since I dislike winding bobbins during a project I wind several bobbins before I start a new project, I didn't want to put extra wear and tear on my machines motor.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maggieloe View Post
Recently we discussed what gadgets we found the most useful. Great thread. How about this one - what gadget are you sorry you bought? I can't say I have too many of those, but I did by a fabu-motion without stitch regulator when I was having a lot of trouble learning to free motion. What I really needed was practice and this now takes up space in my closet.
What is a fabu-motion - w/o stitch regulator?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the comment regarding the rotating mat. I always wondered why it was hard to move around. After reading your reply, I went to the mat, took the black part off, tried it and had to smile realizing that had been the problem. I learn a lot from this board.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM

Default oops

bought a singer quilt pro machine at the local jo anns. worked one week. then they had to send it off. picked it up a month later still didn't work! bought a singer at walmart and my sister is still using it nearly 15 years later! I have a treadle and a kenmore from sears. love both! a least sears has a good waranty. never could get the rotary blade sharpener to work. get blades at overstock now. Nothing like trial and error. mostly error in my case.
was about to get a mini iron. thanks for saving me!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Default Rotating cutting mat

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Rotating cutting mat. It was expensive, and it's still easier to turn the piece I'm trimming than it is to turn the mat.
I had a similar experience. I find it only helps with specific projects, but have not given up on it. What frustrated me the most is that it tends to come apart.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Protector! Hmmm, never noticed that.