Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My experience with Glue Basting. >
  • My experience with Glue Basting.

• My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    thank you so much for the tip! I am making some log cabin blocks and am sure this would help with them.
    Would love to hear what you discover, likes and dislikes and share with us all. It has been quite awhile since I have done a log cabin block....got me thinking. LOL.
    Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
    I bought a bottle with one of those small tips --- bummer. If you let it set very long it stops up and then you have to soak it in hot water, etc. I finally went back to just using the tip straight from Elmers - just barely opening it -- no problems. As mentioned on the board recently, if you buy a large supply of glue sticks you might want to store them in a plastic bag in the fridge &/or freezer to keep them from drying out. I had never thought of that but I did find some of my sticks dried out and I didn't have a big supply.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the special tips. I will have to keep that in mind before/when I can purchase one. But, so far I really have not had any issues with, like you, just using it from the original bottle. I went and checked the one glue stick I do have; it is dried up and I just tossed it. So, will definetely have to store them in the fridge from now on.
    Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
    Why would you spend extra money instead of just using Elmers? With back to school upon us a bottle costs $0.50 and I'm sure the one you mentioned is more than that. I have some placemats with the binding glued on that are still holding strong after19 months.. Really do need to sew it down tho and finish them. LOL
    So glad that you mentioned the 19 months....I had no clue as to how long it would hold, because I usually wash as soon as the project is finished. Usually, I am a one project at a time quilter so projects do not sit for long periods of time. In the last couple of months though, I actually have a couple quilting projects, one hand piecing project and a cross stitch project....no wonder I am not getting much accomplished. LOL. Hope that you take the time and finish your project soon, but if not it will be there another time.
    Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    I make a lot of string quilts for charity. I like the 'look' of the same solid strip down the center of each square ususally about 1-1/2" black. Then when it is done I can play with a pattern with that strip and just gives the whole quilt a point of interest. Using a glue stick to hold down that first piece nice and straight, makes all the difference in the world, as try to pin fabric to deli paper is difficult at best....
    I have only done one strip quilt and that was awhile ago. I like your idea of the center focus strip and will have to try it on my next one. Definetely will be trying the glue sticks to use with paper piecing from now on. It really sounds like it will make all the difference, instead of trying to hold it in place while putting your other piece over it.
    Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM

I keep a pin stuck in the narrow metal glue tip and it keeps it from clogging.
    Also, I saw on this board that someone is diluting the Elmer's glue and putting it in a spray bottle and basting their quilts with that instead of basting spray. I intend to try that sometime soon.
    Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
    I keep a pin stuck in the narrow metal glue tip and it keeps it from clogging.
    Also, I saw on this board that someone is diluting the Elmer's glue and putting it in a spray bottle and basting their quilts with that instead of basting spray. I intend to try that sometime soon.
    I think that is a really good tip about sticking a pin in the tip to keep it from clogging. Diluting the glue, interesting, I wonder what ratio they use between the water and glue? Like you, I think I will have to do some checking and find out and give it a try!
    Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 PM

It is 3:25 here in Grandfalls Texas and I am going to step away for a tad bit. I discovered that I did not cut enough 10 1/2 by 6 1/2 blocks (9 to be specific) and since I did not cut enough of those blocks...I did not cut enough of the 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 side strips with the 2 1/2 orange end pieces. So once I get my cutting back up to par, I then want to finish sewing those blocks.

I will be checking on and off. So do not give up on me and responding. Again, I am just having a blast with this post and learning so much!!!! Absolutely Fabulous. Thank you everyone and I hope to get lots more feedback!!!!
    Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 PM

I have mentioned on QB before that I use Elmers washable school glue many times for glue basting. I use it for binding ( esp. curved), putting in zippers, mitered corners...you name it. Here's how to make a glue baster with a fine tip. Get a bottle of Elmers washable school glue and pry off the orange tip. There will be some white internal plastic "guts" sticking up from the bottle. Cut it off with a scissors. Next get a retractable "click" pencil with a nice narrow tip. Screw it off the pencil. Next slice a small amt off the top of the orange glue bottle tip...less than 1/4". Next push the pencil tip up through the orange cap so it come to a fine point. Now you have a nice glue bottle with a fine tip. I keep a pin in the tip when not using the glue. This gives you a nice fine even bead of glue when gluing. :O)
    Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chicca
    I think that is a really good tip about sticking a pin in the tip to keep it from clogging. Diluting the glue, interesting, I wonder what ratio they use between the water and glue? Like you, I think I will have to do some checking and find out and give it a try!
    They said that they add just enough water so that it is thin enough to spray.
    Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the great tip I've used the glue stick did't like it Also used Roxanne's glue baste it. Goiing to try this as Roxann's is much more expensive like $6 something a bottle. Boy this is much cheaper Also when I did glue never ironed just held it down a while. Again great tip Thanks
    Frances