Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price? >
  • Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

• Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 AM

For that price quote...and if I was to have someone quilt for me...I think I would ship it to Jenny at the MQC or someone on this board that you have seen their work and know the prices. I just can't see paying that much.
    Originally Posted by Pennyhal
    I'm in CA and my quote was $250 for a queen size quilt, simple meander, not including bat and backing.
    Old 10-05-2013, 04:49 AM
    Power Poster

Hmmm.. I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Am I the only one who finds this ironic? First, we talk (complain, really) about how Muggles (non-quilters) expect us to do all this work to make a quilt, then want to pay a really low price for the product of our work. Then we turn around and do the exact same thing to our fellow quilters and longarmers.
    Old 10-05-2013, 06:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I think that 200 is to high, I pay .02 cents an inch and that includes thread, not batting.
    queen size 100 inches square
    100x100x0.02=$200
    Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 PM

Did that include batting, and the binding? If so binding takes awhile, if not seems high for our neck of the woods as well.
    Old 10-06-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Am I the only one who finds this ironic? First, we talk (complain, really) about how Muggles (non-quilters) expect us to do all this work to make a quilt, then want to pay a really low price for the product of our work. Then we turn around and do the exact same thing to our fellow quilters and longarmers.
    Peckish...I agree with you, it is ironic!
    Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 AM

I absolutely love my LA'er. That being said, I usually pay much closer to $300 than $200, which I pay, just so I can get it done, and move on to the next one. I let her choose the quilting design. I supply the batting and backing, and usually do the binding ( she charges extra for that). Her turnaround is fairly quick, and I have ever been dissatisfied with her work. I have occasionally thought about looking elsewhere, but the next nearest person who does LA-ing is approx. 90 min away, and it is not worth my effort to drive that far.
    However, when I retire in 3 years, guess what my first purchase will be?
    Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 AM

I meant to say... "NEVER dissatisfied...."
    Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 AM

I really felt the need to chip in here. I have heard many, many times that a longarm quilter charges are too high. But does the person who believes the charge is too high allowed for what the charge needs to cover. My longarm business is in my home, but I still have overhead expenses to pay: the electricity I use, my machine that cost several thousands of dollars, state and county business license, insurance, taxes. Then there is not only the cost of thread and batting, but all the patterns and rulers (templetes) that I need to complete quilts. And to keep up with what is new, I need to subscribe to professional quilting magazines, attend meetings (sometimes out of state), pay dues to professional organizations, take classes that sometimes cost several hundreds of dollars. Spend time with accounting and invoicing. All for minimum wages? I don't think so.
    Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

However, in Northern California that is really a pretty good price. It seems to range between $180 and $250 around here.
    Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
    I really felt the need to chip in here. I have heard many, many times that a longarm quilter charges are too high. But does the person who believes the charge is too high allowed for what the charge needs to cover. My longarm business is in my home, but I still have overhead expenses to pay: the electricity I use, my machine that cost several thousands of dollars, state and county business license, insurance, taxes. Then there is not only the cost of thread and batting, but all the patterns and rulers (templetes) that I need to complete quilts. And to keep up with what is new, I need to subscribe to professional quilting magazines, attend meetings (sometimes out of state), pay dues to professional organizations, take classes that sometimes cost several hundreds of dollars. Spend time with accounting and invoicing. All for minimum wages? I don't think so.
    Well said!!