Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:56 PM

What a wonderful essay. Quilters are amazing. I just turned 70 and quilt hoping to delay alzheimers by continuing to learn something new and demanding. I also think quilting is a wonderful way to stave off sadness and depression. I don't know if I could have gotten through the last two years since the death of a beloved 6 year old grandson without my sewing machines to keep my mind and my hands busy. Bless you for you beautiful words.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:12 PM

I am returning to quilting after a 20 year absence. I was shocked to learn that most tools, articles, and websites dedicated to quilting are centered around machine quilting. Not me. I intend to learn machine quilting now, but my first love will always be hand quilting. It just soothes my soul!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM

How right you are. This is the first Sunday in I can't remember when that I haven't even turned one of my machines on. But i really am enjoying reading everyones messages.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
I am returning to quilting after a 20 year absence. I was shocked to learn that most tools, articles, and websites dedicated to quilting are centered around machine quilting. Not me. I intend to learn machine quilting now, but my first love will always be hand quilting. It just soothes my soul!
It is a shock when you've been away. I've been continually quilting during your 20 years away but had stopped buying magazines and books as I had an over flowing book case full. During those years, the termonology, techniques, styles and tools have all dramatically changed. Like you, I'm a hand quilter but am trying to get up to date and learning to machine quilt some but my passion truly is hand quilting. I've decided it's ok to machine piece, machine quilt and then do hand quilt detailing and it does work. I recently did that on a quilt for a gift and was pleased. Had it been fully hand quilted, I'd still be working on it.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 AM

I think machine piecing and hand quilting is a good idea. I think I will drag out my machine and give it a try, although my machine and I have never been best friends!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
That you can make a quilt so big you have to go to your neighbors house to use her game room to sandwich your quilt..........and then she ask if you can make her one. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
I think machine piecing and hand quilting is a good idea. I think I will drag out my machine and give it a try, although my machine and I have never been best friends!
Time for a more quilter-friendly machine?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 AM

I feel the same way< I will have to live to be 1000 or so with great eyes.
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I've learned that I don't have enough days in my life left to do all the quilts I want to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I simply HAVE to quit looking at quilt magazines and the pictures on this forum!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 AM

This past weekend I went to a quilt show with maybe about 200+ quilts. I don't think I saw an ugly quilt. What I learned is that even beautiful quilts have stitch-in-the-ditch stitches that don't all stay 'in' the ditch, and other stitches that aren't perfect still make for a beautiful quilt. So... that means I can quilt; have fun; strive to always improve and still finish and enjoy my not-so-perfect quilts!!! LOL, but that is a big discovery for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Today I learned what it takes to make a round quilt...about $41 worth of tools!! I got an order for 2 round quilts, and I didn't realize how much the tools would be...oh well, I'm sure I'll need to make other round quilts in the future???? Hopefully!!!
That is funny but I am sure it is true. Happy quilting with your new tools. Oh, what we quilters do to ourselves! :shock: