Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign >

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I just want to say that this is the greatest group of people. We are all so very diverse but have come together to support each other while we try to lose weight. I am so very thankful for every one of you.

I have been dealing with weight issues my whole life and I have finally come to a place where I can deal with those issues and lose the weight.

I know because I won in June that I could not win in July. I do not want to join this challenge to win. I am participating because I need you guys and your support.

I am a little worried because on Monday I weigh in at the hospital again and because it is a holiday I will have to weigh in using the nutritionist's scale and it is not a big one so I always weigh heavy. UGH. I will just deal with it I guess.

After I weigh in I have my fourth nutrition class. After this class I only have two more to go to before I am ready to prepare for the gastric bypass. The classes are once a month. Hopefully I will be having the surgery by the end of October/beginning of November.

Once again, thank you so much for being here and for all the support that we give to each other on this journey.

You guys rock!

Missy

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}
could you feel it??????????????
YES!!!!!!! Thank you!!!

Missy
Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

So here goes...........my food intake for today: Fridays are hard for me I don't eat meat on Friday and I am allergic to fish,

breakfast...........yogurt with blueberries

lunch.............tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread

dinner...........lazy split pea soup with a BIG Fruity Salad and creamy rasberry dressing (recipe's follow)

I can still have 2 snack and I haven't had enough protein so tonight I will have a hard boiled egg and a peach smoothie

Lazy Split Pea Soup 4 servings

almost as easy as opening a can of soup

1 cup dried split peas (split peas are packed with protein)
about 3 c water
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 4 oz jar strained baby food carrots

Put everything in a pot and simmer for about an hour if it looks too thick add extra water.

Big Fruity Salad

1 1/2 c lettuce (romain is good but use anything)
1/4 green pepper chopped
1 tbsp craisins
1/4 c canned manderine oranges
1 oz cheese (your choice) cubed

Mix all in a bowl top with 2 tbsp creamy raspberry dressing

Creamy Raspberry Dressing

1 c plain yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp raspberry jam (it is also good with blackberry jam)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch salt and pepper.

Mix all together.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM

So here goes...........my food intake for today: Fridays are hard for me I don't eat meat on Friday and I am allergic to fish,

breakfast...........yogurt with blueberries

lunch.............tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread

dinner...........lazy split pea soup with a BIG Fruity Salad and creamy rasberry dressing (recipe's follow)

I can still have 2 snack and I haven't had enough protein so tonight I will have a hard boiled egg and a peach smoothie

Lazy Split Pea Soup 4 servings

almost as easy as opening a can of soup

1 cup dried split peas (split peas are packed with protein)
about 3 c water
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 4 oz jar strained baby food carrots

Put everything in a pot and simmer for about an hour if it looks too thick add extra water.

Big Fruity Salad

1 1/2 c lettuce (romain is good but use anything)
1/4 green pepper chopped
1 tbsp craisins
1/4 c canned manderine oranges
1 oz cheese (your choice) cubed

Mix all in a bowl top with 2 tbsp creamy raspberry dressing

Creamy Raspberry Dressing

1 c plain yogurt
1 tbsp raspberry jam (it is also good with blackberry jam)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch salt and pepper.

Mix all together.
YUMM-OOOOO!!! I love it that you sent this in. Here is my intake for the day, so far:

Breakfast:
10 cherries
1 cup Special K with fruit and yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 litre water

Lunch:
turkey and bacon unwich (sub sandwich w/ no bread from a local sub shop)
4 oz turkey
2 slices bacon
2 cups lettuce
1 tomato
(I chop the entire thing up and top with fat-free lo-cal raspberry vinegarette)
1 litre water
1 can Pepsi One

Snack:
1/2 small cantaloupe
1/2 litre water

Dinner:
Egg salad (4 eggs, 1 tbsp light mayo)
2 slices lo-cal whole grain bread
1 litre water

Snack (in a couple hours):
1 pear
1 can Pepsi One

That will be 9 servings of protein (an ounce of meat is counts as 1 protein and 1 egg is 1 protein and 2 slices of bacon is 1 protein) and there is 7 grams per protein serving. So, I ate 63 grams of protein which is in my target of 60-70 grams a day.

I think journaling our dietary intake is excellent.

Missy
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

Missy.............. instead of all mayo even though it is light you can lighten it up even more. mix equal parts of mayo with yocheese. yocheese takes on the flavor of what ever you mix it with. I also mix 1/2 yocheese and 1/2 butter it is grat on toast and baked potaoes.

Yocheese
1 qt container plain yogurt make sure it doesn'thave gelatin in it or it won't work.

Line a strainer with a coffee filter
Dump yogurt into coffee fliter strainer, let drain about 3 - 4 hours. what is left in the strainer is yocheese. the liquid in the bowl is whey. I don't throw the liquid away is is loaded with protein I use the liquid in smoothies in place of milk.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Missy.............. instead of all mayo even though it is light you can lighten it up even more. mix equal parts of mayo with yocheese. yocheese takes on the flavor of what ever you mix it with. I also mix 1/2 yocheese and 1/2 butter it is grat on toast and baked potaoes.

Yocheese
1 qt container plain yogurt make sure it doesn'thave gelatin in it or it won't work.

Dump yogurt into coffee fliter strainer, let drain about 3 - 4 hours. what is left in the strainer is yocheese. the liquid in the bowl is whey. I don't throw the liquid away is is loaded with protein I use the liquid in smoothies in place of milk.
Now that sounds like a good idea!! I will ask my nutritionist on Monday exactly how much protein is in that whey so I can add it to my days protein intake.

I have heard that greek yogurt is a good source of protein too. I have no tried that but I am sure willing.

The one thing that I need to do differently is to get rid of the Pepsi One out of my diet. That is not a good thing to be drinking but I do love soda. Bad Missy! :D

Missy
Old 07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MissyGirl

Yocheese

Now that sounds like a good idea!! I will ask my nutritionist on Monday exactly how much protein is in that whey so I can add it to my days protein intake.

I have heard that greek yogurt is a good source of protein too. I have no tried that but I am sure willing.

The one thing that I need to do differently is to get rid of the Pepsi One out of my diet. That is not a good thing to be drinking but I do love soda. Bad Missy! :D

Missy

That is what yochees is greek yogurt it is soooooooooooo thick and creamy almost the consistancy of ice cream. Could you post the answer to the protein in whey if you are able to find out? Or calories? If you look at a package of protein powder which is so expensive the main ingredents is whey. My feeling is why should I pay soooo much for protein powder when I could make my own and reap the benefits of yocheese(greek yogurt) By the way I make my own yogurt so I know exactly what I am getting.

Did you know diet anything soda ect is bad for you because even though it has no calories your body still sees it as sugar and stores it as sugar making it harder to lose weight.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 PM

That is what yochees is greek yogurt it is soooooooooooo thick and creamy almost the consistancy of ice cream. Could you post the answer to the protein in whey if you are able to find out? Or calories? If you look at a package of protein powder which is so expensive the main ingredents is whey. My feeling is why should I pay soooo much for protein powder when I could make my own and reap the benefits of yocheese(greek yogurt) By the way I make my own yogurt so I know exactly what I am getting.

Did you know diet anything soda ect is bad for you because even though it has no calories your body still sees it as sugar and stores it as sugar making it harder to lose weight.
Yes! I will definitely post that information Monday afternoon when I get home.

No, I did not know that about diet soda. As you guys as my witness and my support, I will not drink anymore diet soda. It is water or cucumber water for me! It can only benefit me if I give that Pepsi up. Done. I do not need anything else being stored on/in my body. Thank you for that information!

Missy
Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Regarding the whey question, I just spoke to my nutritionist. She said there are two types of liquid whey, acid and sweet. The type from yogurt is most likely sweet she said but here are the figures for both (1 cup):

Acid:
calories 59
protein 1.9 grams
carbs 12.6 grams
fat .2 grams
chol 0 mgs
sodium 118 mgs
fiber 0 grams

Sweet:
calories 66
protein 2.1 grams
carbs 12.6 grams
fat .9 grams
chol 5 mgs
sodium 132 mgs
fiber 0 grams

Interesting information!

Missy
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM

Sun tea is really good drink, or ice tea without sugar. I water things down to 1/2 water 1/2 tea. A little bit of lemon in your water, or lime tastes great. I put the juice of one into a gallon of water and keep it in the fridge.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Sun tea is really good drink, or ice tea without sugar. I water things down to 1/2 water 1/2 tea. A little bit of lemon in your water, or lime tastes great. I put the juice of one into a gallon of water and keep it in the fridge.
I love tea!! Being from the south it was always sweet tea but it has been months and months since I have had sweet tea. I really like it unsweetened now. Great idea about the lemon and lime juice. I am going to try that.

Missy