Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police! >

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 AM

About a month ago my DD was cleaning out her storage bldg & had stuff all over the porch. DGS was looking thru the mess & found his twin bed quilt I made for him. He said grammie I have been looking for this & didn't know where it was. I worked so hard on this quilt. My 2nd one (Irish Chain with applique). DGS asked to me to make him a "Hookem Horns" quilt & that is what I did for him. He was so happy to find his quilt again. I know he loves it & will continue to love it & use it. Just glad nothing hapened to it.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

they are usually washable ;)
Originally Posted by Boston1954
Did you ever see the movie "How to Make an American Quilt"? They got the thing all finished and gave it to the young woman and she had it wrapped around herself and walked down the dirt driveway with it dragging on the ground. I wanted to crawl right into the television.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:03 AM

Hey Girl, your story was super!!!! I want my quilts to be used.... not abused. So, once I give them away, I hope the person/s will use them. The only quilt I have packed away is one my gradnmother made for my mother.... it is in very poor condition....why? because it was used. I just keep it because grandma made it. I keep thinking I will get it out some day and use it as a table top.... great conversation piece when the family gets together. I am the only quilter in the family and I am sure to get comments..esp. from one sil. What wonderful memories our quilts give us. You did the mature thing, let her spew her ignorance, then explained to her the reality of quilts. Your day wasn't so bad... you put the quilt police in her place. LOL all day long. Now, off to do some quilting.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 AM

And, I'm sure you had quite a crowd listening and they were probably amazed at your comeback! I've inherited a "boatload" of tops - WHEN they get completed if they aren't used, I'll take them back! I remember (as a kid) being told not to sit on the quilts and thinking "what were they made for?" Isn' it interesting that our attitudes have changed - for the better!! Thanks for sharing your story. Keep making those quilts!!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 AM

When I read your first tale of the LQS, and realized where you were/are, I just KNEW it had to be R's...right? That shop is about 8 mi. from my house and I've pretty much stopped going there. sad.
THEN.................the episode at the Blue Angels (weren't they awesome - as usual) really clinched it for me. In this AM's Record Eagle, there was a letter from someone who COMPLAINED that the Blue Angels were going over his house and they made "too much noise". I suspect his wife is your QP woman!! Some people.....and they walk among us!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 AM

I have a quilt that my Mom made in the early l940s,it is ragged and has one hole in it. She used it and washed it so many times,I have used it the same way. Of all the quilts she and I made together,I dont remember her ever saying this should be put away and not used.It seems the more lovely it was the more she used it.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 AM

the only requirement I made to my grandsons is that they never use it on the ground while changing oil in their vehicles. LOL. Otherwise, it was theirs to do with as they please
Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 AM

Thank you for sharing this with us! You gave a great reply to her and it made me LOL. I have a feeling she was self-appointed to the position and wasn't qualified to make the decision. If there were such a thing as "quilt police" I would at least hope they were intelligent and helpful like most of our real police are.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:59 AM

WOW!!! How funny!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM

I live on several acres. My next door neighbor is a half a block away. She is the local "chief of police" of everything she doesn't like. There are 17 families on our mile long, dead end road and all live on acreage. I have had to put up with this "chief" for 47 years. I tried to ignore it all but finally the cork blew and I told her off in spades. I have had peace for 20 years.

She had sued, called the police or animal control, took out injunctions and had arrested 3 neighbors. Not me. I told her if she ever bothered me again I would beat the h--- out of her and bring my four sons to help me. It worked.