Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two Tips >

Two Tips

Two Tips

Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Another hint -- you can clean off the bottom of your iron by ironing over a dryer sheet (like bounce) -- even a used one! It seems to get the "whatever" off the iron and smells good too.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 5moose
Save an empty prescription bottle (you know...the amber colored ones) in your sewing room for old...dull...bent...broken needles and pins. When the bottle is full just throw away the entire bottle. That way no needles or pins directly in the garbage.
I take the full bottle to my drs. appt. and have them dispose of them with all their needles & hypos.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM

[quote=raptureready]

My sister uses a role of toilet paper as a pin cushion. She doesn't use many pins and keeps them to the center of the roll. Then if she needs to wipe up a small spill, blow her nose, dab at some blood, it's right there to use.

Just be sure to take all the pins out before you put it back in the bathroom! OUCH!! [giggle]
Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Besides the drafting T-square, I use a drafter's dusting brush to clean off my cutting mat. Love the foot-wide bristles!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Embroidery. You can do quilt blocks, labels, or good old fashioned pillow-cases. Really easy to do in the car since supplies are few and small.
Originally Posted by Nancy11442
This is a great tip since I drive back and forth to AZ in the fall and again in Spring. NOW my problem is how do I find a "to go" project that I can keep in the car and pick up on. I do hand quilt sometimes and I applique. Just can't decide what I can do that I won't forget where I am on it. Sorry, I'm old. Suggestions?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
This is a great tip since I drive back and forth to AZ in the fall and again in Spring. NOW my problem is how do I find a "to go" project that I can keep in the car and pick up on. I do hand quilt sometimes and I applique. Just can't decide what I can do that I won't forget where I am on it. Sorry, I'm old. Suggestions?
You can make cathedral window quilt pieces that are done by hand, yo-yo's or do some English Paper Piecing. All are take along hand projects where you do not need to remember where you are working.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Banned

Thank you all for the wonderful tips, I got a t ruler at a garage sale. It cost me 25 cents. I have not used it yet, but I will give it a try when I cute fabric. thank you again, and God bless. Penny
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 AM

I love bargello quilts. What is that pattern you used? I love it. I just ran across a book (one of hundreds) that I have on bargello and I think I'm gonna make another one. I just think they are the most beautiful quilts!! Well, I think all quilts are beautiful, but you know what I mean!!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Cathedral windows are a great block to make in the car, motor home, or anywhere on the go. I am making one, the block is 5". I hope I live long enough to complete a queen size quilt. LOL Great way to use up those small scraps of different colors. I, also, use a t ruler that I bought on a trip in Oregon. This wonderful quilt store there used it to cut their material and I just had to have one.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by Pati- in Phx

You can also brush on clear nail polish and sprinkle it with salt before it dries. The salt acts as "grips" too. and it is easy to redo.
I've done that. The salted nail polish chipped off and took the markings on the ruler with it.
I haven't tried this but think it would work well. Just put a tiny dab of clear silicone on corners of underside of ruler. Smooth so it is almost flat and won't raise ruler up much but I bet it will keep it from sliding. If you ever want it off, I think it is fairly easy to rub off.