Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:48 PM

I might expect that cost for "servicing" a prize mare.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Annual maintenance should be less than $100. I think you got "taken"
She did not get "taken." Read what she wrote. It wasn't just an annual maintenance if there was $73 in parts. Those parts don't put themselves in and that would be in addition to a regular maintenance.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by np3
Annual maintenance should be less than $100. I think you got "taken"
She did not get "taken." Read what she wrote. It wasn't just an annual maintenance if there was $73 in parts. Those parts don't put themselves in and that would be in addition to a regular maintenance.
I did read what she wrote. The $200 was for "service". The parts were extra.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 PM

I hope you enjoyed the "ride" you got. Sewing machine repairs are the biggest rip off since ......The more machines with computers and add-ons the more they gig you to do very little. I am fortunate to have found a repair person in a neighboring town to repair and clean all my machines. Sewing machine repair and tuning is not rocket science in most cases. My pfaff has one place to oil...the bobbin case. But you do have to clean lint from everywhere. In 10 years it has not been in the repair shop once. Tune up is a joke in most cases. Try to get a Service and repair manual for your machine. You may have to do some searching, but i'm sure your time would come out to less than $200. And who knows what the mark up was on the parts....
Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 PM

I will add one more issue - and that is the fact that the last time I had my OLD machine in for repair, it was about $50 to get it oiled, cleaned and adjusted... that said, it has been years since I had a machine in a repairshop... I believe when I got the bill of $109 I was in awe - only cause not only was this a computerized machine, it was also several years since having gone to a repairshop with a machine, and my old one pretty much was if one who has the simple tools and patience could fix that one! So, I can not complain I guess but it was the shock of how much it was that set me on my heels! I need to come up to today's rates! :) plus the fact i had a fairly nice new machine to work on.... parts more expensive, and the bench price had gone up exclusively.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM

There is a lady locally who services all brands of machines. She comes to the LQS once a month. I paid her $90 to replace the mother board on my Bernina and service it (I bought the board separately from the dealer); she charged me $80 to service my Viking. I would definitely ask them all the proper questions and ask around in your area and guilds about competent repair people.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM

hahaha, I swear, anytime I hear getting the machine serviced, I think, rip off!!...all the man does is clean the dust out, oil if needed and check the belts, maybe. I have been sewing on an old singer, a new home janome, brother and now have a used Bernia, for 50 years. I have never taken any machine for service lol.

None of the parts ever got broken ever. I read each manual and see what needs to be done to that particular machine. Some machines don't need oiling. I make sure to remove the top plate and clean under it after so many hours of sewing. I clean out the shuttle area everytime I change the bobbin and so on. all a good machine ever needs is cleaning and or oiling if needed, just read the book and then there is the web. I don't have 200.00 to throw away.

I think I need to start a new business lol. I will service your machine for 50.00 hahahahah
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
hahaha, I swear, anytime I hear getting the machine serviced, I think, rip off!!...all the man does is clean the dust out, oil if needed and check the belts, maybe. I have been sewing on an old singer, a new home janome, brother and now have a used Bernia, for 50 years. I have never taken any machine for service lol.

None of the parts ever got broken ever. I read each manual and see what needs to be done to that particular machine. Some machines don't need oiling. I make sure to remove the top plate and clean under it after so many hours of sewing. I clean out the shuttle area everytime I change the bobbin and so on. all a good machine ever needs is cleaning and or oiling if needed, just read the book and then there is the web. I don't have 200.00 to throw away.

I think I need to start a new business lol. I will service your machine for 50.00 hahahahah
If you have computer service training I will gladly take you up on it.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 PM

I have a Viking Designer SE. My last service was just over $200! I don't take it yearly now...just b/c of that. I keep it cleaned out of lint myself. I figure every 2 or 3 years is good. Oh...and I use it nearly every day.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
crt

I just got my Brother back from having it serviced. It has been used hard for probably 3 years. I clean where I can, but it hasn't been cleaned thoroughly since I've owned it. It cost $40.