Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Gwynn, How awesome! WAY TO GO!!! On the sweetener discussion, I started using Stevia the Truvia brand-is it me or does it have a weird aftertaste? I mainly just use it for my coffee and the last few days I've done my own "Splenda blend" type mix-Truvia + 1 tsp natural unprocessed sugar and fat free 1/2 & 1/2. My mom says I shouldn't claim to be a coffee drinker but a melted coffee ice cream drinker...she only drinks it black. I try not to add any sweetner to anything, but if I bake I use unprocessed real stuff.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Well I have not lost a ounce but I checked out 5 gyms and am joining the Y today.I lack all motivation so this is a pretty big step to just join.Now I will just have to go.If I eat anything sweet I have craving that just won't stop.I know my triggers but do I avoid them,NO.Yea Gwyn,that is great.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have to speak my mind on a particular post from earlier today. I realize that I will offend the person making the claim but I can not sit idly by and be quiet.

There is no way or should I say no healthy way someone can lose 20 pounds in 11 days. I truly feel this is an over exaggeration on the person's part just to win the FQ's this month and that is not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly I think if I was the hostess I would want proof on this. A Dr.s note or pictures. It is unfair to the rest of us that are being honest and doing the right thing to lose the weight.
Why does someone always have to ruin the fun for others.

Sorry if I have made anyone mad but I just had to say something.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Artificial sweetener is a good question. When I was pregnant and diabetic, artificial sweetener and sugar did the same thing to my blood sugars so I had to stop using it. When I am not pregnant, they act differently. I use nutrasweet but only in coffee. I like my tea unsweetened. I figure the 2-3 cups of coffee I drink in a day with a packet of sweetener probably won't do any damage.

But here is a warning from a chemist: Asparatame can become poisoniss if ingested warm. So, if you buy a can of diet Dr. Pepper and then let it get warm in your car, it is probably no longer safe to drink.

Some flavored coffee and tea do not need as much sweetening as others. They cost a little more, but you don't have the sugar problem.

Artificial sweetener has more sweetening power than sugar so it will trigger a sweet tooth. Please don't give it to children without checking with a doctor first.

Okay, I'm done preaching. I guess my thought is, small quantities, limited intake, careful planning. Gwyn
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
I am curious what everyones opinion is on real sugar vs artificial sweetners. I know sugar is not good for you, but in small amounts I wonder if it is better for you than the artificial sweetners. I don't really drink pop but I like iced tea. I usually put sweet and low in it. Just wondering if others think it is good for weight loss or bad for it. There is so much conflicting information about it, it is hard to know what is true. :?
I really recommend that you read the book Read It Before You Eat It. It really examines the use of alternative sweeteners. One thing to keep in mind is that sweeteners like Equal are roughly 600 times sweeter than sugar. Sugar is honestly not bad for you. It is better for you than other sweeteners. I sincerely recommend you read that book.

Missy
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have to speak my mind on a particular post from earlier today. I realize that I will offend the person making the claim but I can not sit idly by and be quiet.

There is no way or should I say no healthy way someone can lose 20 pounds in 11 days. I truly feel this is an over exaggeration on the person's part just to win the FQ's this month and that is not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly I think if I was the hostess I would want proof on this. A Dr.s note or pictures. It is unfair to the rest of us that are being honest and doing the right thing to lose the weight.

You didn't make me mad. I absolutely agree with you. The problem I have been having is excessive swelling in all parts of my body. I didn't 20 pounds of fat, it is probably 95% water weight. The exciting thing for me is that it is finally starting to leave. Water or fat feels the same when you have to carry it around. It is a medical problem and it feels really good to be getting it off.

I'm not in the fat quarter race. I'm just in this to lose the extra weight I carry around. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I was just happy for me. Sorry if I upset anyone. I'll lurk a bit more quietly.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Let's see...How do we lose weight? To lose one pound of fat you have to expend 3500 calories. You can do that by either exercising or by consuming less calories. But the bottom line is 3500 calories have to go away to lose one pound.

If you lose 10 pounds then that is 35,000 calories. That is alot of whopping calories.

If you lose 20 pounds then it would mean you used up 70,000 calories or you consumed 70,000 calories less than normal.

So when you are examining the amount of weight you want to lose look at how many calories have to be expended. Either reduce the caloric intake or increase the activity.

Does this make sense? If you have any questions ask away. There is a whole host of people with tremendous wisdom on this thread!

Missy
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM

You are right.

I'm down to about 400-500 calories a day (doctor supervised)
Walking in my house about 1 hour a day
And taking a special medication to reduce fluid retention.

I'm not trying to win a prize. I just thought someone out there would be happy that I am finally starting to move down. Guess not.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma

I have received MANY, MANY PM's this morning pertaining to this. I also sent a PM to the player in question. I feel it is impossible to lose 20lb in 11 days unless there is an underlining health issue. I have had players drop out due to the fact that their doctors have changed med's or their diet and they feel it was unfair to continue knowing all to well they will lose weight at a faster rate then the rest of us.

I have tried my best all these months to have this thread as a postive place to go and lose weight. However this is the honor system my hands are tied with the honesty of all the players.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Let's see...How do we lose weight? To lose one pound of fat you have to expend 3500 calories. You can do that by either exercising or by consuming less calories. But the bottom line is 3500 calories have to go away to lose one pound.

If you lose 10 pounds then that is 35,000 calories. That is alot of whopping calories.

If you lose 20 pounds then it would mean you used up 70,000 calories or you consumed 70,000 calories less than normal.

So when you are examining the amount of weight you want to lose look at how many calories have to be expended. Either reduce the caloric intake or increase the activity.

Does this make sense? If you have any questions ask away. There is a whole host of people with tremendous wisdom on this thread!

Missy
Missy you are a world of information thank you so much!!!!!