Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM

my dil is a real peach and i love her to death. she showed a small interest so i got her to come along with me to a $5 bom at a local shop. big mistake. her patience level to learn new things is about as long as the time it takes a flea to jump. thought we could enjoy the time sitting and sewing together. did not happen. she couldn't relax, just wanted it to be instantaneous and easy. oh, well! we still spend time together doing other things and she loves to receive the things i make for her. that is enough for me.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM

My Nanna tried to get me interested in sewing when I was a little girl - you know, the baby sewing machine that I touched maybe once or twice, and I think I hand-sewed a few very basic felt Christmas ornaments. Never really my thing.

Fifteen or twenty years later, I visit my great-aunt in Nova Scotia (Granddad's sister) and she's an avid and prolific quilter. Just being in her quilting room felt like an eye-opener. I'm a color fiend. I love color and texture, and for me, that's where the real joy comes in with the quilting! I'm less "creative", but quilting provides my love of color with some structure. And I actually get to make something.

Even though I never showed any interest in other kinds of sewing, I finally found my niche. :) It can be such a tricky thing.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I bought my DIL a Singer 503 and just barely showed her how to use it. I didn't think she would really sew but I only paid $5 for the machine. It had a broken nose door.... Anyway a week or two later she came over with a bag she had quilted together and announced that she was in love. I looked at her and told her she better be in love. She just laughed and said she was in love with the sewing machine. So I asked her if she named the sewing machine so she sat and thought a few minutes and said she was going to name her Margaret after her Grandma. She said Margaret was very fashionable in her day and could get things done. LOL. So now once in a while we get together and sew. Never thought I would see the day. I didn't push much though. Oh and I found a better door and a box of accessories for Margaret.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

I invited my step-daughter to take a class with me. She said - "I'm missing that sewing gene." So - no interest in making them. She does ask me to make some charity quilts for her occasionaly - so it isn't that she doesn't appreciate it.

Maybe DIL - is also missing the gene.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM

What about asking her if she wants to sign up at a local shop to take the block of the month with you? This is how I started and got totally addicted! I now have a friend that does it with me too. I love it!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM

She might feel intimidated. I did when my quilting sister tried to get me interested. Then a friend proudly showed me a bunch of blocks that were far from perfect. I thought to myself, I can do that. I did and that quilt was far from perfect but it made me try harder. I'm continuing to learn and improve but at least I'm not scared or intimidated anymore and my sister loves and admires my work.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Originally Posted by quiltingdoe
Everything has it's time. I only started quilting recently. I had other hobbies and didn't want to get into one more. I guess that's over now; but I am determined to just do one project at a time.
Didn't we all say that at first????? We'll watch your posts with interest!!!!!! Any bets on how long before she tells us she has several UFO's?????? (Just teasing quiltingdoe!!)
No offense taken! I have such a small house and rubber stamping is my first love. So what you ladies have in fabric and notions, I have in paper, ink, ribbon and embellishments. I am currently making a Christmas Tree wall hanging and all the fabric came from friend's stashes. After I cut the pieces, I gave them back the left overs. I make cards for them in exchange. So when they need some paper they come to me. Happy quilting to everyone!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM

i would stick to baby or lap quilt sizes...... she can make for a future child, or one her good friend or sister gets.....not too many pieces to the project, so it goes fast. she can start creating her own 'gift drawer' ready for when she needs one.
OR she could embroider a center for a baby quilt....or bocks using simple patterns, then put it together at a future time. my daughter did some emboidered blocks from coloring book -simple pictures, when we went camping....we kept it just for when we were away from home, so it took several summers. i later put it together for her, as she was living away.
sometimes they don't have room to have a sewing corner, but lap projects work well.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM

I think everybody has to have the desire to sew or quilt, another person can't make them love it if they don't really want too. My grand-daughter made her boyfriend a quilt before they were married she did a beautiful job. Then her cousin had a baby she was all gung-ho to make a baby quilt for her, chose beautiful fabric, cut it all out and it is still unfinished, the baby is 5 months old now. So my advice is to enjoy it yourself and maybe someday the desire will come to the ones who want to pass it on to.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM

You cannot make someone like something just because you do..Neither my two daughters or daughters in-law sew at all. I don't know if they can sew a button!!!!!!! They have other interests. I didn't start quilting till I was in my 50's. I did some sewing when my kids were young. Give it up. Perhaps she'll get interested when she sees your accomplishments. peterparley